Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

National Transplant Week

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Hi guys, the following is from one of our volunteers on one of our sister websites Lifetracks.com. We reckon it's a worthy cause so thought we'd spread the word :thumb:

4th July marked the beginning of National Transplant Week for UK. NTW runs till the 11th of July, and this year’s theme is “Heart to Heart”. For more information, go to http://www.lltgl.org.uk/news/

In the UK, although there are currently more than 8000 people waiting for an organ transplant, less than 3000 of those people receive a transplant. Last year, more than 1000 people died because they did not receive an organ on time. 90% of the population support organ donation, yet only 28% are organ donors.

Last year, one of the 3000 who received their transplants was me. From being someone who wasn’t allowed to eat half the things I loved, having to drink as less as possible (any fluids, not just alcohol), spending 3 afternoons a week in hospital being connected to a machine, being completely exhausted almost all the time, and having bone problems so severe that my bones broke without even banging into anything; 17 months on, I am now someone who can eat whatever I want, drink as much as I want, having to go into hospital once every 2-3 weeks for checkups, being able to walk about so much more and not having to be afraid of having my legs bang into anything because I know the bones won’t just break now… and the most important things? This year, I have already been away on holiday twice. I still have 2 more times that I am going away before the year ends. And in September, I start studying Psychology with Counselling Skills at university.

So, please, take just a minute to sign up to the Organ Donor Register. You could change up to nine people’s lives completely.

If you are on Facebook or Twitter, another thing you could do to show your support is by saving the image that I have added here, and putting it as your profile picture and asking others to sign up to the organ donor register as well and to do the same.

Thanks for reading :)

Nehal

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Definitely a worthy cause - didn't realise it was National Transplant Week though. I signed on to the organ donor register a while ago, and yeah, I really hope that more people sign up - precisely because when asked so many people say that they would take an organ, but yet so many fewer are willing to give something up.

I really think we should have an opt out / presumed consent system, or even a mandated choice option. Or at the very least, a required request legislation. But hey, thats one for debate...
    **helen** wrote: »
    If you are on Facebook or Twitter, another thing you could do to show your support is by saving the image that I have added here, and putting it as your profile picture and asking others to sign up to the organ donor register as well and to do the same.

Wheres this picture?
    Definitely a worthy cause - didn't realise it was National Transplant Week though. I signed on to the organ donor register a while ago, and yeah, I really hope that more people sign up - precisely because when asked so many people say that they would take an organ, but yet so many fewer are willing to give something up.

I really think we should have an opt out / presumed consent system, or even a mandated choice option. Or at the very least, a required request legislation. But hey, thats one for debate...

:yes:

Definitely a worthy cause. Ive been on the organ donor register for quite a few years now.
    definitely. my cousin has cystic fibrosis and had to have a double lung transplant last year. it's changed her life dramatically, she doesnt cough so much anymore for one thing and i know she has tons more energy. sign up peoples
    I've been signed up for a few years now. It has been debated before - was an interesting one, someone should start that debate again - opt in or opt out.
    A great thing to do - I am on the list; I was at Unity Day, in Leeds a few years back, far too intoxicated to know what I was doing. I woke up the next day with an organ donor card. I guess it was meant to be. If it wasn't for that I would never have known about it.

If you are not on the list, please give it a thought. :)
    Nobody can have my bits, doubt anyone would want 'em any way :)
    I lol'ed when I saw this because I interpreted 'National Transplant Week' as 'go and donate your organs right now'! I don't know anyone who's needed a transplant but have been signed up since the day I turned 18. I truly don't understand why the people that would take an organ, but never give one.