Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your weekly grocery bill?

Someone posted this thread 3 years back, but I thought I'd ask for an update on on figures. Based on 1 person, what do you spend on your groceries? Which shop(s)? Does it include booze? I use Tesco/Sainsbury's for my main shop, then a top-up shop at my local Spar. I struggle to spend below £40/week but it does include a few cans of beer.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not sure, but it ain't cheap.
    Food is my main expense. I did manage to feed two for £27 a week for a while back in 2007 I think but I was eating like a mouse as I was in debt with little income. I think I spend £70 to feed two (and whoever else in the house is eating my food - grown people, not mice, sigh). Mine includes wine and cigs and 'lunch money'.
    there are five adults under my roof at the moment so our shopping bill is mahoosive.
    As a student I spend roughly £25 a week on food but of course thats because im a cheap skate as well. If i was buying everything i wanted to it would probably be abut £40
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Someone posted this thread 3 years back, but I thought I'd ask for an update on on figures. Based on 1 person, what do you spend on your groceries? Which shop(s)? Does it include booze? I use Tesco/Sainsbury's for my main shop, then a top-up shop at my local Spar. I struggle to spend below £40/week but it does include a few cans of beer.

aren't you unemployed monserrat? the reason i ask is because i am actually employed but couldn't afford to spend that much a week if i lived by myself! lol.

when i lived by myself, i probably spent about £20 a week.

i now live with my boyfriend and our weekly supermarket bill is normally between £40-£60 (this doesn't include alcohol). that includes our toiletries and house cleaning products as well though so thinking about it, we only really spend £30-£50 on actual food each week. we eat really well too...lots of fresh chicken, fruit, veg...

how do people spend so much?!

i shop at asda (because its the closest supermarket to us) and i ALWAYS take a shopping list otherwise i'll end up buying loads of shit. i never buy more than i have to and nothing ever goes to waste.

i used to be awful for buying lots of food that i didn't need and it just used to end up getting thrown away when it went off :no:
    When I lived in halls, I rarely spent any more than £20 per week.
    Theres 5 of us and I probably spend roughly £120 a week on groceries. sometimes more, sometimes less.
    2 of us married and we spend roughly £200-250 a month on food, drink, toiletries and household cleaning materials.
    Me and my mum (and our 2 dogs, 2 cats and 8 snails :p ) cost about £80 a week.
    Xx
    £90-£120 for food, household stuff etc. Two of us, 2 cats. £30 of that is easily cat food and coffee !!!

Go to Sainsbury's so that pushes the price up a bit. Morissons' down the road but they're so fucking shit. Why save £20 on your weekly bill when you end up throwing away £30 of food ? And never having to deal with that cunt on the fag counter is a relief :)

I don't go out anymore and holidays are a thing of the past so i treat myself, sometimes, to the slightly better tasting stuff.
    Not sure about the entire week for my dad and sister but I try to stick to £10 a week for myself.
    aren't you unemployed monserrat? the reason i ask is because i am actually employed but couldn't afford to spend that much a week if i lived by myself! lol.

Even though it's against my will, I now lead a very sad life of not going out pubbing/clubbing, and the £40 is pretty much all I spend. Hell, I haven't clubbed since Sep 2009 thanks to redundancy. As for the £40, I do really struggle to spend below that. In 1998, I was spending £25/week, so I guess that the £40 is about right with inflation, apart from bread which has tripled in price in that time.
    OMGZ the price of bread. You can still get bread cheap in Aldi and Lidl though - try changing where you shop Monserrat, switching around each week to make the most of the offers and quit shopping at your local Spar. Write down whatever you get short on and make sure you buy enough of it at the supermarket instead.

I make the same mistake with milk though, it's 109 for a big bottle in Lidl, and 159 in my mini Tesco and I always end up buying more at mini tesco. I wouldn't if the other three adults in my house didn't drink my freakin milk though. Like my daughter and I get through 4 pints nearly everyday *rolls eyes* *evil laugh* *contemplates spiking it with laxatives*
    Yes! Look for sales, and coupons too. The bottom of the receipts at the grocery stores I go to tell you how much you saved and it is rare where that number isn't higher than the amount I spent. :thumb: Though I'm pretty lucky because there are three major stores all at the same intersection so it is very easy to go to multiple stores on the same trip to get the best price.

As for how much I spend... it is hard to say because the boyfriend and I have completly opposite tastes in food and we don't eat any of the same things, can't even agree on pizza toppings! So we just go out to eat most nights. But I spend about $10-15 a week for lunches and to cook a big meal at night which I'll then just eat the rest of the week and snacks.

Though I'm about to spend a crapload tomorrow because I saw Smorz cereal was on sale for the first time in ages for $2.50 a box. I shall buy out their stock.
    my flatmate and i do a monthly shop for all the big stuff (5kg rice and stuff, we eat tons of the stuff!) and we top up weekly with things like bread and milk, i'm not sure how it would break down...

i just spent $106 on a big shop, that includes lunches every day and that will last the two of us for 3 weeks maybe more? (thank god for pak'n'save kilbirnie, i don't care about trekking across town, it's so much cheaper!)
  • exposedexposed Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
    Me and my girlfriend usually go "main shopping" once every 10 days or so, usually spending about £40.

We usually end up going down to the Tesco Metro down the road every other day or so for little bits. So I guess in the end we spend about £60 every week or so.
    my name wrote: »
    Look for sales

Indeedy. If you can afford to it's worth buying extra. We do all the time. Since we first moved here i don't think we've ever paid full price for washing liqud, tootpaste, tooth brushes, loo roll, washing up liquid, tissues, tea. All the stuff that u can keep for ages and doesn't go off.

Also, if you shop at Sainburys, look for small orange stickers on shelves when they're doing 'end of line' sales. We got 8 bottles of relish 2 weeks ago, normally £1.98 each for 25p each.
    this site http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ is quite good when doing an online shop. you can compare and switch your trolley to the cheapest supermarket option.
    2 of us, we go to Morrisons every other week and usually spend around £120, and I go to Sainsburys during the week for odd bits and usually end up spending about £40 between each shop at morrisons, so we spend about £320 a month if not more. We don't go out much and rarely eat out nowadays so to be honest when we go food shopping we pretty much buy what we want. This also includes cleaning products and toiletries, and my hubby goes through sooooo many toiletry items that we could prob knock about £50 off if he didn't buy so much!
    Roughly £40 every 10 days.

So that's about £30 a week then. That's 5 of us eating together and chipping in for ingredients, and obviously the extra bits for lunch and breakfast I get for myself.

That doesn't include treats like beer / wine / buying sandwiches at the shop though.