Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ouch!!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was moving a metal and wood framed computer desk (with the computer still on it) in work today and as I lifted it out of the way to get to the fridge (it was in a cupbaord) I thought I had put it back down on the floor but it was resting on the table tennis table wheel, so when I yanked the fridge open it knocked the desk which then came crashing down onto my foot.

There is minimal swelling, however there is a lump on the top of my foot by the bit before the bend in your foot (not sure if that makes sense) and it is absolute agony both resting and especially when I touch it or walk on it.

The last time I hurt my foot coz I could walk on it they wouldn't x - ray it, so I don't really want to go to A & E to sit there for hours for nothing to be done, but it is sooo painful I can't sleep and can't walk properly I just wanna cry!

I have got no pain killers in the house that I can take as I am allergic to ibroprofen and codine which happen to be the only things my other half left me when he went away:( Any ideas what I can put on it? I have tried RICE but it hurts more with a bandage on it so I am really stuck, I have got a really busy day in work tomoz so could really do with getting some sleep :(

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dropped a motorcycle last summer and trapped my right foot under it. Luckily my boot took most of the weight, but it was still bruised and swollen when I took the boot off in the evening. I had to ride several hundred miles the following day, and the danger was that I would be unable to put the boot back on the following morning - effectively ending our trip!

The advice I was given was to bath my foot in ice for 10 minutes at a time and take some Ibruprofen (which is both a painkiller and an anti-inflammatory). If you are sure you haven't broken anything, wrap a bag of frozen peas in a teacloth and press it to your foot for 10 minutes. Repeat at 20 minute intervals, refreezing the peas in between, until the swelling starts to go down. If you are allergic to ibruprofen, paracetamol will do the same job.
    I was only wearing flip flops when I done it, so there was no protection for my foot at all. I have been icing it today and been taking paracetamol but instead of the swelling going down it has been swelling more! I couldn't fit any shoes on it today apart from a flip flop and could only walk on it when it was strapped up.

Thinks it is going to have to be a trip to the hospital tomoz, really hope its not broken as I am supposed to be going away next week for a month on an adventure activities camp :(:(
    sorry i dont have any advice, but ouchhhhhhh poor you :( hope it gets sorted tomorrow.

do you have a hot water bottle at all? im just thinking when you are trying to go to sleep it might soothe it.
    yes I have didn't think about that, gonna go make one up now as i'm gonna try and get some sleep tonight as it was agony last night :)
    :) i dont think that would do it any harm but you could ring up nhs direct just incase 0845 4647

i know there are sometimes rules in case it's broken and i wouldnt want that suggestion to make it worse!
    I was only wearing flip flops when I done it, so there was no protection for my foot at all. I have been icing it today and been taking paracetamol but instead of the swelling going down it has been swelling more! I couldn't fit any shoes on it today apart from a flip flop and could only walk on it when it was strapped up.

Thinks it is going to have to be a trip to the hospital tomoz, really hope its not broken as I am supposed to be going away next week for a month on an adventure activities camp :(:(

If it is still swelling after ice and paracetamol, you really should go and have it looked at asap. It could be broken.
    If it is still swelling after ice and paracetamol, you really should go and have it looked at asap. It could be broken.

Thanks I am going to my local minor injuries one today, but it doesn't open till 2pm so gonna have to hobble till then :) Lmao - can't wiggle my toes today so lil bit worried, will let everyone know later what is said. Thanks for the advice x x x
    Well I went to the minor injuries yest, turns out the Dr leaves at 2 oops. So I went the the hospital, was very surprised how quick they were I have been in seen nurse, Dr and had an x-ray all in 30 mins!

I am assuming its not broken as I am not in a cast however I wasn't actually told anything lmao. The nurse called me thru after my xray, said the Dr has prescribed your paracetamol and something else do u have any allergies, so I was like yea im allergic to bla de blah, so she went off to check if I could have the one tablet and never came back, then another nurse came and said I need to bandage your foot, rest it and don't weight bear for a few days but didnt give me no crutches or anything or explain even what I had done!

It was then only when I went to the pharmacy to get my tabs that they checked my allergies again and said oh no you can't have this one tablet! I had told 6 different people before her, so could have just taken them and spent my whole weekend in casualty. :)

So I went to a friends last night and the alcohol numbed the pain in my foot temparaily and now it has wore off my foot is more sore and swollen than before!
    they sound pap! i hate doing it cuz i think they should just tell you but sometimes you have to reallly push people for the info you need to know. you have a right to know, it's your foot! i hope things improve, if not def go back.