Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

OK to say no to houseguest?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am 24 and live with two other girls in a cramped flat. Housemate A is going on holiday for 2 weeks over the summer. Whilst she is on holiday, she has asked if her sister (aged 21) can stay at our flat. Housemate B is going travelling for the summer so won't be around at all. To be honest, I was really looking forward to having a couple of weeks of me-time in the flat by myself as in the 5 years I've lived in shared houses I've never had more than a day or two living on my own and my current place is teeny so I never really feel like I have my own space. Plus I have only met the sister very briefly twice so it feels like having a stranger stay with me and my housemate won't even be there.

I'd really rather my housemate's sister didn't come to stay but is it mean to voice that opinion? Do you think it would be ok to say that I'm happy for her to stay for one week but I'd prefer it if she stayed somewhere else the other week (she has an extended family member not too far away)?

I would really appreciate opinions.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Course you can say no, its your place as well and you have as much right as they do to say what goes on there
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you worded it like you worded it here then if shes reasonable it should go down fine.
    As long as she has somewhere else to go anyway.

If she does end up staying your housemate might at least tell her to give you a bit of space.

I would't put your foot down and completely refuse though.