Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why are so many geeks in to metal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I often get the feeling that most people in to heavy metal (and surrounding genres) I have met are quite geeky/have geeky interests...

Obviously I have no issues with geeks, but I was wondering why there's a following in the subculture.

Does metal often have intelligent lyrics? Do some geeks just vent their anger at gigs?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    big assumption here but i think it might be that metal music can be attractive to those that feel like outsiders and want something less conventional?

also, most of the people i know that love metal also love wwf. hmmm
  • Options
    What's wwf ?

World Wildlife Fund ? :)
  • Options
    big assumption here but i think it might be that metal music can be attractive to those that feel like outsiders and want something less conventional?

As a massive metalhead I pretty much think this covers it, though there is a bit more to it. I wouldn't say all metalheads fit the "geek" label, but it is, and has always been, music largely for outsiders. Loath as I am to use that term, as it implies I was an emo, it's the best way to describe it. The French word "étranger" captures the sentiment better than English.

I personally got into it through my dad's love of bands like The Who, the Stones, Cream etc. and got progressively heavier in my tastes. I find metal immensely cathartic, both playing it and listening to it. When you meet metalheads, whilst they may look scary, they are generally the most mellow and chilled people you ever meet. This is part of the reason I love metal clubs so much; few people go there to get smashed and pull as with mainstream clubs - people go for the music.

As for intelligent lyrics, yes, some metal, often the very best of it, has some unbelievable lyrics. Iron Maiden and Motorhead spring immediately to mind. Certainly better lyrics than any of that RnB and pop shite. Not exactly plumbing the depths of the human experience... Furthermore, it has provided some of the most technically gifted musicians of the 20th century, of any genre.

Essentially, it is music for outsiders and to some that may be part of the appeal. It has got me through some of the toughest times in my life, when without it, I might well have hit someone or worse.

Sam Dunn, in his excellent anthropological study into heavy metal called "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" sums it up better than I ever could. Even if you're not into metal, it's a fascinating and extremely well made film, with interviews with the great and the good of metal thrown in for good measure.
    Ever since I was 12 years old I had to defend my love for heavy metal against those who say its a less valid form of music. My answer now is that you either feel it or you don't. If metal doesn't give that overwhelming surge of power that makes the hair stand up at the back of your neck, you might never get it, and you know what? That's okay, because judging by the 40,000 metalheads around me, we're doing just fine without you.
  • Options
    All the geeks I know are into funk, jazz and hip hop...

ETA: and pop
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    What's wwf ?

World Wildlife Fund ? :)

world wrestling federation :D see im down with the kids
  • Options
    world wrestling federation :D see im down with the kids

WWF (wrestling) is now WWE ;)
  • Options
    WWF (wrestling) is now WWE ;)

what :nervous: ok maybe im not :lol: hulk hogan ftw
  • Options
    As a massive metalhead I pretty much think this covers it, though there is a bit more to it. I wouldn't say all metalheads fit the "geek" label, but it is, and has always been, music largely for outsiders. Loath as I am to use that term, as it implies I was an emo, it's the best way to describe it. The French word "étranger" captures the sentiment better than English.

I personally got into it through my dad's love of bands like The Who, the Stones, Cream etc. and got progressively heavier in my tastes. I find metal immensely cathartic, both playing it and listening to it. When you meet metalheads, whilst they may look scary, they are generally the most mellow and chilled people you ever meet. This is part of the reason I love metal clubs so much; few people go there to get smashed and pull as with mainstream clubs - people go for the music.

As for intelligent lyrics, yes, some metal, often the very best of it, has some unbelievable lyrics. Iron Maiden and Motorhead spring immediately to mind. Certainly better lyrics than any of that RnB and pop shite. Not exactly plumbing the depths of the human experience... Furthermore, it has provided some of the most technically gifted musicians of the 20th century, of any genre.

Essentially, it is music for outsiders and to some that may be part of the appeal. It has got me through some of the toughest times in my life, when without it, I might well have hit someone or worse.

Sam Dunn, in his excellent anthropological study into heavy metal called "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" sums it up better than I ever could. Even if you're not into metal, it's a fascinating and extremely well made film, with interviews with the great and the good of metal thrown in for good measure.
    I read an article about this, I think it was on the BBC but I can't find it...

I googled Sam Dunn and found he directed/is directing a film about Rush. Well, funnily enough I just uploaded a video of my brother drumming to Rush, so I thought I'd share :)

Personally I've always liked metal, but I guess I've always been a bit of an outsider too. I don't think my parents influenced it much, as my dad was a glam rocker!
  • Options
    Rush fucking rule. Listen to the version of Working Man from the R30 gig in Frankfurt. Absolutely kicks arse.
  • Options
    I don't know much of their stuff, but he's got me into it. Tom Sawyer is good - I like the South Park version ;)
  • Options
    I read an article about this, I think it was on the BBC but I can't find it...

Had a look but couldn't find it.

I did however find an interesting article on one of the omnipresent themes in metal, the tritone. The devil, as they say, has the best tunes.
  • Options
    Oh right, wrestling.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Steroid enchanced muscle buckets :)
  • Options
    I would consider myself pretty geeky, as in I started writing programs when I was very young, really enjoy taking stuff apart and work as a web developer ... Reggae, Dub and Jungle is my preference.
    Ever since I was 12 years old I had to defend my love for heavy metal against those who say its a less valid form of music.

At a similar age, I was into Breaks + Jungle, people at school called me a chav purely based on the fact that I wasn't into indie or metal. One good thing did come out of that in the end; I got introduced to oi / punk.

But yeah, massive geek not into metal at all. I work with a guy who is.