Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So Long Privacy: Apple Bans Apps, Music for Customers Who Opt Out of Tracking

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm no, quite the opposite again. In practice, you can quite easily refuse service to a black person and pretend you're doing so for some other reason. In theory though, it's absolutely illegal to refuse service to someone based on the colour of their skin. It would land the shop owner with a pretty hefty fine if he was found guilty of doing so.

No, it's not. According to the strict basic theory of property rights, a person can refuse sale to anybody for any reason, no matter how silly or irrational.

in practice, we have laws that outlaw this. Such legislation does not alter the theory though.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    Yes. But terms of sale, in theory, can mean anything. If a person buys a car on credit, the terms of sale are that the buyer pays installments as payment for it. This is an example.

Lol, that's not the terms of usage for the car, that's the terms of a credit agreement. The terms and conditions cover the loan used to buy the car, not the car itself. Like when you buy a phone, the contract you sign isn't terms of usage for the phone, it's terms of usage for the network. That's why it says Vodafone or O2 on the piece of paper, not Apple or Nokia.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    wtf? Now you're being a cunt and doing it too - what the fuck have the terms of a service got to do with racism? Why are you even trying to equate the two things dickhead?

never mind. my initial suspicion was correct.
  • Options
    No, it's not. According to the strict basic theory of property rights, a person can refuse sale to anybody for any reason, no matter how silly or irrational.

in practice, we have laws that outlaw this. Such legislation does not alter the theory though.

You are backing your points up with a "theory"?

Whilst you say there are laws with outlaw these bad practices, you then mention that the legislation doesnt alter the theory. It does alter the theory, it makes it totally irrelevant. Earlier on you were saying it was ok to do what apple have done, now you are saying its ok because of some theory, the same theory which you have even just alluded to being made irrelevant by legislation.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    You are backing your points up with a "theory"?

Whilst you say there are laws with outlaw these bad practices, you then mention that the legislation doesnt alter the theory. It does alter the theory, it makes it totally irrelevant. Earlier on you were saying it was ok to do what apple have done, now you are saying its ok because of some theory, the same theory which you have even just alluded to being made irrelevant by legislation.

My point isn't confused.

Theory is different from practice. For ethical considerations, we stop firms from discriminating in who they sell to. But it does not mean that the basic theory is invalid.
  • Options
    wtf? Now you're being a cunt and doing it too - what the fuck have the terms of a service got to do with racism? Why are you even trying to equate the two things dickhead?

Well I'll take this as a serious question, even if it doesn't deserve a response. It's quite fucking simple (look at me, I can say naughty words too). The racism question is relevant, because it goes right to the core of the question of how much freedom shop owners and businesses should have over how, when and to whom they sell their stuff. It's a way of determining whether we're talking to the usual libertarian or not. Although I used it as an example, because I was under the mistaken impression that Kira was making claims about what the law is, rather than what (s)he thinks it should be.

You can make the same point with sexuality or gender too.
  • Options
    My point isn't confused.

Theory is different from practice. For ethical considerations, we stop firms from discriminating in who they sell to. But it does not mean that the basic theory is invalid.

Yes, but you've failed to at any stage highlight the relevance of this theory. In theory Apple can put any terms they want on the sale of their items, of course. And in theory, I can sign up to those terms and break them. So what does that show?
  • Options
    I think kira has gone and got himself confused about arguing about some theory, and confusing it with the applicable law of what apple are actually allowed to do.
  • Options

I think that the point being made is that a seller doesn't have the legal right to dictate terms and that anti-racist legislation is proof of that.

It's an extreme example but a factual one.
  • Options
    Yes, but you've failed to at any stage highlight the relevance of this theory. In theory Apple can put any terms they want on the sale of their items, of course. And in theory, I can sign up to those terms and break them. So what does that show?

which legal theory says a person is allowed to break a contract?
  • Options
    Click what? I've bought a phone before. I've never had to click anything. I've had to sign a contract with Vodafone, not Nokia. Nokia couldn't give a shit what I do with their phone. They've got their money and I've got my phone.
    You click the button in iTunes when you sync the phone/ipod which says "You agree".
  • Options
    Well I'll take this as a serious question, even if it doesn't deserve a response. It's quite fucking simple (look at me, I can say naughty words too). The racism question is relevant, because it goes right to the core of the question of how much freedom shop owners and businesses should have over how, when and to whom they sell their stuff. It's a way of determining whether we're talking to the usual libertarian or not. Although I used it as an example, because I was under the mistaken impression that Kira was making claims about what the law is, rather than what (s)he thinks it should be.

You can make the same point with sexuality or gender too.

It's not the same as you completely ignore how racism is about power and this debate is about some silly little toys, twat.
  • Options
    It's not the same as you completely ignore how racism is about power and this debate is about some silly little toys, twat.

Yeah okay, go fuck yourself. You've obviously got some sort of chip on your shoulder, so go and cry about it somewhere else.
  • Options
    Popcorn

Nomnomnom
  • Options
    Yeah okay, go fuck yourself. You've obviously got some sort of chip on your shoulder, so go and cry about it somewhere else.

You probably can't understand, that's what I'm putting it down to.
  • Options
    why so rude? :confused:
  • Options
    Apple owns the products, so they should be able to determine their usage.

And in theory, a firm has the right to deny they choose service.

I'm afraid you're not quite correct about the second point. Even firms have to follow the law of the land before their own conditions.

consider a contract, or a 'terms of use agreement' that you tick before using a program. If that contract says that they can gather information about you, and sell it to other people, but the law of the land says that the way in which they do that is -illegal- (privacy laws, e.g), then the contract is not worth the paper it is printed on - this is in the exact same way that you can't sign a contract with someone to give them permission to kill you.

Now I'm no expert on the ins and outs of all the different caselaws in different countries, and its one of these changing areas (privacy, data ownership, etc) so who knows what the law will be in a few years time - but they are skirting close to the line. If someone challenged it in court, I can see a judge letting it go to court rather than throwing it out perhaps even as a test case.

Consider that Windows used to have windows media player and microsoft internet explorer integrated into the operating system so you couldn't remove them and they argued 'my product, my rules' - but both the US government and the EU found this to be illegal, to prevent someone removing software they didn't want that wasn't core functionality.

Company's certainly don't get carte blanche, and Apple is a very good example of a 'corporate bully' at the moment in the sense that it doesn't really have to operate 'within the spirit of the law' because it has enough money, enough lawyers and ultimately enough legal clout in the industry to avoid any serious litigation or restrictions on its shady practices.
  • Options

Terms of service is a contract. You can break a contract if it's illegal.

Refusing an individual service is a right. You cannot refuse service on illegal grounds.

It boils down to the fact that the law of the land trumps other legal documents or rights under some conditions, in both cases. Stop QQing and insulting more intelligent members of the boards because you don't understand, and read more.

More simples for you now?
  • Options
    ah yes, I see, you really don't want to understand and don't want to either.
  • Options
    ah yes, I see, you really don't want to understand and don't want to either.

Listen, several members have no responded to your deliberately insulting comments with their justification for using the examples they chose, and you've offered nothing but more insults to them, so stop embarrassing yourself. If you want to debate it, come up with decent points and maybe, just maybe, express them within the rules of the forum.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Stop QQing and insulting more intelligent members of the boards because you don't understand, and read more.

More simples for you now?

I lol'd :D
  • Options

Come on, dude. This ain't like you.
  • Options
    It really is.
  • Options
    There's an internet debating rule about not comparing things to Nazis in debate, it even has its own little name but, dare someone object to people using inappropriate references to racism agaisnt black people and the responses are that I'm the stupid one. Oh honestly, do fuck off, if you can't see how offensive it is then I'm not your dude.