Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mashed up my ankle - time off work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went bouldering last night and landed on a crash mat funny...

Since then my ankle has been really painful and walking hurts a lot.

I went to work today, but left early because I was in a lot of pain... I went to the hospital, got Xrayed and I am glad to say that it isn't broken...

However, my ankle is visibly bruised (brown and blue and swollen) and apparently I have a second degree sprain. Doctor said it should heal in two weeks, but if it hasn't I may need physio...

I am on my feet back and forth in work to get to photocopiers or to pick up files, as well as being on my feet to get to work... Today, I felt as if my whole leg was freezing up and I was limping...

I don't want to go in to work tomorrow, as it hurts too much but I also hate taking time off...

Is a mashed up ankle a really poor excuse to have a sick day? Otherwise, I am fine... But don't want to make myself worse.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ouch Namaste!

In my book a mashed up ankle is definitely worthy of a day off work...did the doctor suggest how to look after it?

If you're not sure contact NHS Direct for some advice.

Resting your ankle and treating you and it well now are probably going to mean you get better quicker. All falls are also a shock to our systems so its probably helpful to rest from that point of view too.

Take care of yourself :wave:
    I think it's a good reason, especially if going in now will make it worse and mean you would have to have more time off in the long run.
    It's enough of a reason if your job requires you to spend time on your feet of to bear weight.

Best advice is too use the ankle though because this helps it heal.
    ouch did it hurt
    MoK wrote: »
    Best advice is too use the ankle though because this helps it heal.
    I know I need to do some light exercise... It's just that today it got worse and hurts a lot. I can barely walk...

Maybe I can rest it one day and then go back...

ETA: The hospital wouldn't give me crutches either... :( I mean not to be a hypochondriac, but I'm not faking it.
    Maybe phone NHS or go back to Dr in the morning for advise?
    katralla wrote: »
    Maybe phone NHS or go back to Dr in the morning for advise?

I'm shocked at you.... *advice

:)
    OMG thank you - I actually mix them up all the time *sheepish*

x
    I took yesterday off work and whilst I feel a bit better, am taking today off because I don't want any risk of hurting myself more.

Kinda did me good because the more I walk on it, the more the pain and the more it swells.

I've done research, which says 48-72 hours rest is recommended, after which, getting myself back in to light exercise (depending on how I am feeling next week or the week after, I may go to an aqua aerobics class).

It's surprising how much a day's rest can do.