Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Despite clear guidance Met still don't get the message on photography

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Assume you were with an officer at the time though
  • Options
    I wasn't doing any searching, so no, and I really can't remember what reason I put in the little ticky box.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    because he knew what other legislation he could use instead. Most cops would keep hammering on about S.44.
    Most cops are even dumber than this cop? Yes, I'll buy that...

And I can believe he was making it up about her riding on a pavement (at the very least, I'll bet he doesn't stop many, if any, cyclists for that alone). I have plenty of experience of policemen lying. Haven't been lied to by a policewoman yet, although I did get some bad advice from one about the right charge for a hit, physically assault and run.
  • Options
    I should specify that I've never had a PCSO, of either gender, lie to me. Round our way, though, they don't tackle people over riding on pavements or parking on pavements, or eating on pavements, or anything else one might use as a pretext to question someone for taking pictures in public. There aren't many prime terrorist targets in Gloucester, though.
  • Options
    Can you be arrested under the anti-terrorism legislation for looking directly at CCTV cameras extensively too? Would assume so considering the similarities of this case. Afterall I would remember any directions, camera locations and blind spots if I was to commit a "terrorist act". I wouldn't make it so blatantly obvious with cameras.
  • Options
    Whilst the cop has gone totally overboard and gone way beyond his powers/responsibility/authority, it's fair to say that beat officers do tend to know almost everyone in a town of this size, at least by face. I worked in a town that was almost identical demographically and after 6 years in the same town you know who belongs and who doesn't. That skill paid off when I caught a burglar/disqualified driver simply because I didn't recognise him or his car. Thanks to that the guy was arrested for disqualified driving and his vehicle seized for not being insured or taxed.

It also pays off when you're looking for shop lifters and uninsured drivers/travelling criminals because nobody in a town of this size is stupid enough to shit on their own door step, those that are get caught 5 minutes later when we visit their house.

There are ways and means of developing the skill, this isn't one of them. A person taking pictures isn't a criminal, as i've said before there are some circumstances where not questioning someone taking photos would be bordering on the criminal, ie if you see them taking photos of a securicor van or the front of a bank. But of some police making an arrest?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    A few minutes later a policeman walked in and approached me, so they must have been tracking me on the CCTV.

"He said he'd received a complaint that a man matching my description was taking pictures of children and wanted my name and address.

"I told him it was ridiculous because it was my own son. He then started asking me what I was doing in Sunderland, asked for my name and address and told me he had the right to delete my pictures.

"I got annoyed and raised my voice a bit, then he threatened me with arrest for breach of the peace."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Man-Suspected-Of-Being-A-Paedophile-For-Taking-A-Photo-Of-His-Own-Son-While-Out-Shopping/Article/201002415560029?f=rss
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    He should have said he considered it a terrorist threat to the country's transport infrastructure. That sort of silly mistake is why he's only a security guard.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Big Gay wrote: »
    He should have said he considered it a terrorist threat to the country's transport infrastructure. That sort of silly mistake is why he's only a security guard.

I expect the security guard to be a bit thick, but it was the copper which threatened to delete the photo's on his phone.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/28/press-freedom-police-marc-vallee

Once again the Met have to pay out for not respecting press freedom, because rank and file officers (not senior Officers, not the big men at the top, your average plod) don't understand the law, nor do they care to.

It's now a monthly, if not weekly occurrence that some example of this comes out. I've seen violent drunks and groups of youths shown more respect than they show to people involved in civil protest and journalism.

The recent history of British Policing is awash with examples of a clear culture of impunity and willful ignorance within certain sections of the service. Members of the public who then remonstrate with them and demand in a civil way that they uphold the law as they are meant to do, are met with contemptuous responses asking them to 'calm down' and 'stop acting aggressively' - where the later is deployed in a ridiculous fashion at the first hint of body language or moving a hand.

Police officers should be (and are) rewarded for doing a very difficult job, but when they fail in that public service post they should be brought to account. Too many officers have shown themselves to have little or no respect for peaceful protest and journalistic freedom needed to hold them to account.

It makes me laugh that debates around failing public services at the moment completely neglect a significant area of failure, vis a vis Police forces (Kent, Met) who have shown themselves to be prejudiced, deceitful, incompetent and ignorant in the execution of their duty, which is to enforce the law and to uphold the freedoms it guarantees.

@Big Gay - massively late reply but I can't believe I missed this first time round - this is ridiculous, this man clearly isn't clever enough to be allowed to use this legislation and the powers should be taken away from him.
  • Options
    Here's hoping the new government sorts it out, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Politicians are always very quick to criticise this sort of thing when they're not in power, but they suddenly don't have much of a problem with it when they are. Did anyone find Boris Johnson's move to clear out that protest square in London just after his own party got into power rather cynical? He's been mayor of London for long enough to do it, but mysteriously only makes a move to do so when the Tories get into government.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQucfv0slOE

from my home town, strangely i've already sent an email to my (authoritarian anti immigrant, pro death penalty, tory) MP to see what he thinks
  • Options
    Morons.
  • Options
    @where'smyplacebo -

It just keeps happening - there is a massive problem in this country with Police incompetence; all those people who like to point out that it's only the 'bad side' that we see (which is rubbish - as soon as a burglary is foiled the Constabulary press office - rightly - inform the local media) should consider that this is in all likelihood the tip of the iceberg.

People in this country going about their lawful business should not need to accomodate the ignorance, guile and egotistical bullying of people who are there to serve the public. Too many Police Officers don't know the law, do not fear sanction and are neglectful of their public duties.

The fact that this person attended hospital over something so stupid, where they were appearing to put up no significant resistance is scary...

People should be able to trust the Police! For gods sake, we expect Doctors to have a knowledge of anatomy and to be able to give honest answers to questions relating to health; should we not have the same of the Police with regard to the law? I wouldn't trust a damn thing a copper says to me...and that is really sad.