Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Occupational Health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know I've written a thread about this before, so sorry for repeating, but GAH I JUST CAN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE.

So I applied for a job because I don't think I can get into uni. I got the job but a woman from occupational health just called me up and :crying:.

The woman on the phone didn't like that I couldn't give her a reason for my depression, she kept pushing and pushing. :no: And because I couldn't give her a reason (she said that if I had said I was depressed because of bullying at school or something it would have been OK) she thinks that that makes it more likely that it will happen again and therefore I have to go and see their doctor otherwise I wouldn't be able to get a "satisfactory occupational health screening". And my job offer is conditional on a satisfactory OH screening.

So now next week I have an appointment on Monday for the uni OH health people, and on Tuesday I have an appoinment for the job OH people. I'm fed up of the way people are talking to me like its my fault. I wish I never got help for any of this, my doctors' surgery was so crap anyway that nothing really came of it, so all I'm left with is a shit medical record, half of which isn't even true.

I understand why OH exists etc, but its just the way whoever I talk to makes me feel so shit about myself, and somehow they make me feel that I'm not capable of doing anything. As if they would just love me to say "Yeah, sorry. I did have depression, that obviously makes me a really unstable person, unsuitable for the job, I'm sorry I wasted your time applying".

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey purplestarfish,

How are you feeling about it all now? Sounds like you had a particularly rubbish experience with this woman from occupational health and that your GP has also let you down too - the two combined have left you feeling understandably downhearted.

It's really frustrating when we know there are decent people out their in the field, but still there are also people who's empathy skills leave a lot to be desired! :(

Having said that, perhaps Monday will be more positive and you'll be able to talk more confidently about your experience of depression and the experiences you've had that show how much you've achieved in recent years. It sounds like there's a difference between the impact on how these meetings and conversations are making you feel about yourself and the reality of how you are as a person and what you're able to cope with and get on with. Also, it’s good to try and remember that people do want you to do well and aren’t willing you to fail in the way it might sometimes seem.

In terms of getting more informed support, the Mind Info lines might be worth a try, there are a few covering different areas.

Hope you’re feeling a little bit better and keep us updated on how it goes from here. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Purple, i sympathise! I remember having to see OH at my job a few years ago and the woman told me 'i'm sorry, but depression is a lifelong condition' ... i was like 'whut???!' and then i got sacked because of illness >_< so... nothing constructive to really say except for *HUGS*
    Thanks guys :)

I'm feeling a bit better now, just gonna go into these appointments and tell the truth. Sure I may get ill again - and it may have an impact on me in the future, but surely thats the same with everything? What matters is that right now I can do the job, and having depression or not, doesn't necessarily make a difference to that.

So yeah, will let you know how it all goes :)
    It's tough. I failed my Occupational Health assessment for the Scottish Prison Service because I hadn't had a stable mood for at least 12 months.

Hope it goes well for you. Good luuck!
    Appointment one = done and ticked as fit :d
    Yah! Good for you, hope you get the job. Can I ask what it is?
    I lost my job at a company I'd been with for over 8yrs due to ongoing depression. This happened in January 2009. The same company re-hired me in May this year :) Fortunately I'd made enough of an impression before my illness really kicked in to make them consider me someone of merit. It helped having the best boss I could wish for. I just wanted to throw this in the mix.

I had to see the occupational health a fortnight back to assess my current condition. I went through a full medical only to be told that they'd got my paperwork confused and I'd only really needed to talk to one of the doctors for 5mins, lol.

Still, I got some positives out of it. My eyesight is still very good, considering I'm the only person in my entire family who doesn't wear glasses or contacts and was told at 10yrs old that I'd need glasses by the time I was 12. My hearing is very good, which has always been a concern since I got tinnitus in 2004. And my lung function is pretty damn good despite being a smoker since 14yrs old. So it was worth the trip :)
    Appontment two = done and ticked fit :d

Didn't tell the whole truth :rolleyes: but I really don't want self-harm on my medical record, and quite often people hear that and are like :eek: . Meh.
    katralla wrote: »
    Yah! Good for you, hope you get the job. Can I ask what it is?

First one was for uni, this second one was for a job as a healthcare assistant.
    Yay, congratulations that's great news :yippe:
    Will you still be taking the job if you get into uni? Or is the job definitely just a back-up?
    Yay, congratulations that's great news :yippe:
    Will you still be taking the job if you get into uni? Or is the job definitely just a back-up?

Well if I do get into uni (gah I hate saying that :() I'll have to drop the job come end of September, but I may work up till then, or at least up till when they can hire someone else. I really didn't want to mess them around, but I couldn't hold off getting back to them until after I got my results - feel a bit bad tbh.
    don't worry about it, do what you've got to do. Keep things on good terms with them and you might be able to keep the job for in between terms - you're only really away at uni for like... half the year.
    this is great news, congrats purple! :)