Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone else?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guys,

Does anyone else on these boards suffer from perfectionism? (To the point where it interferes with your productivity).
If so any advice or tips on how you've managed to control it would be greatly appreciated :d

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, I've suffered with it terribly - to the point where I couldn't hand in work, or even couldn't begin to start to write it. I've cried over A grades for not being A*s and... just generally got very caught up in being perfect. When it gets too bad I take drugs or exercise. I can't recommend taking drugs because that's not good advice but, as long as you can exercise without perfectionism - it's worth a try, no?

I also had a lecture on Free Cinema once and part of their motto is - "perfection is not an aim", so I sometimes repeat that to myself.
    Hiya

It sounds difficult to never feel that what you do is good enough - and that it gets in the way of you being able to enjoy yourself and be proud of what you can achieve.

This sort of thinking can be linked to low self-esteem or stress. Do either of these fit for you?

Are there any tactics you've got for unwinding and relaxing? Exercise can be a really good idea as is having fun with your friends and distracting yourself from things that are getting to you. Do you have anyone you trust to talk to about any of this? Someone who you might believe if they told you that you were good at stuff?
    We've got some more stress busters here to try.

Take care
    :wave:
    katralla wrote: »
    Yes, I've suffered with it terribly - to the point where I couldn't hand in work, or even couldn't begin to start to write it

This resonates with me greatly :yes: It's like a double edged sword because although it's my attention to detail that often ensures that I reach the required standards in my studies and field of work, it also has the effect of bringing my life to a complete standstill. It can be absolutely crippling and more often than not I'd say it holds me back.
    Well, recognising the problem is part of the solution. Anything less than perfect isn't failure though, sometimes 'good' will have to do.

x