Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

vitamin b12

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi :)

hope people might have some ideas on this.

basically i have had a very stressful last 3 years from uni/people etc.

september last year i got a mouth ulcer which i had never had before. put bonjela on it etc, but it persisted so decided to go to my dentists. he then told me to go to my doctors and get a blood test in case of vitamin b12 or iron deficiency. my dentist i svery good so i took his advice and went to my doctors.

my doctor is also very thorough about things and when i told her she examined the ulcer and arranged for me to see the nurse for blood test to test for iron levels and vitamin b12. i should say at this point i had been experiencing excessive tiredness and dizziness too.

i have always been in general good health so was very surprised wen the bloods came back and to be told that my iron levels were low, not low enough for me to be anaemic but i needed another blood test to check. after 2 more blood tests and being on iron tablets from january to march (to prevent anaemia and get m iron levels back to normal) this year, my iron levels are now fine, but my vitamin b12 levels are not.

vitamin b12 is important as it is one of the blood proucts that is needed to make red blood cells. my doctor has explained to me that my level is completely off the scale of what it should be- which either means there is something really wrong or my level is different to that of the general population (im special lol)

that was 2 months ago and just today ive had the blood test to follow up on the b12 so should get that back asap

when i asked my doctor what the cause (if any) of all this could be she said it could be an after effect of stress and i think she may be right.

has any one else experienced problems with b12 or had health problems as an after effect of stress?

Comments

• Options
    Hello

My mother is obsessed with b12 vitamins. She sort of cant function without them (and her three times a year injections from the Drs). When I lived at home she used to make me take them for my angst and jumpy nervy behaviour.

They are great at sorting out the brain and can prevent psychosis.

I am always surprised by how little notice us in the UK take over b12 when they are so important. I know ALOT about them but cant be bothered to type it. Though they are worth looking up if you are interested in them!
  • Options
    patience wrote: »
    My mother is obsessed with b12 vitamins. She sort of cant function without them (and her three times a year injections from the Drs). When I lived at home she used to make me take them for my angst and jumpy nervy behaviour.

They are great at sorting out the brain and can prevent psychosis.

I am always surprised by how little notice us in the UK take over b12 when they are so important. I know ALOT about them but cant be bothered to type it. Though they are worth looking up if you are interested in them!
    thanks - may i ask if your mum has b12 injections due to a deficiency in her blood?
  • Options
    Well...

Well with my mother it is quite complicated. She has a number of little things. The main one being her underactive thyroid which makes it so some times she cant get out of bed. Its a bit of a nightmare for her really. I dont think thass why she takes them though. She has many little problems like I said, none of which help with her not eating meat at all. So she uses them to boost herself up a little bit. She made alot of brilliant changes when she began taking them though and you can get them in health food shops. If you can stand the taste of marmite (I cannot) then they are great!
  • Options
    offtopic:

I worked in a pharmaceutical company once and we had a small bucket of synthetic Vitamin B12 (Cyancobalamine, as far as I remember). It costs like 5000€ a gram as far as I can remember, and it looked awesome. I have a pic of it somewhere. It is a really strongly coloured powder. And it is an interesting molecule.
  • Options
    prevents psychosis? this sounds interesting! i'm currently taking an anti-psychotic but if there was something 'natural' i could take, or that it might be a reason for, that would be great.
  • Options
    Are vitamin b12 tablets the ones that are kind of orangey brown and smell like Marmite?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    grace wrote: »
    Are vitamin b12 tablets the ones that are kind of orangey brown and smell like Marmite?

Marmite's a good souce of B12.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I think they're the same ones then. My mum takes them because when she goes out walking in the forest, all the midges bite her and apparently these b12 tablets stop them going for her.
  • Options
    You can buy fortified B12 products, which are usually made to cater for vegans (as B12 is the vitamin which is hardest to get if you're vegan)... Some breakfast cereals are fortified, as are some soy products. Some people believe that spirulina is a source, but like any fad/supplement diets, it is disputed and there isn't a great deal of evidence for it.

Otherwise, you can get B12 from meat and dairy.

There's also a great supplement, called Veg1, available from the Vegan Society Website (I take it on and off) which has pretty much everything in it.

I try to eat healthy as possible, but B12 is always a worry for me... I've thought about Ahimsa milk, as it's cruelty free, though the idea of drinking milk grosses me out. ick!
  • Options
    cool, thanks for all that , really interesting to find out - should get blood results bak tomorrow and hopefully b12 level will be normal- if not injections and marmite!!:yeees:
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi littlechattabox22,

Sorry to hear that you’ve been pretty stressed out over the last few years.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is common condition which can result in pernicious anaemia. Pernicious anaemia is often caused by a lack of intrinsic factor, which is a protein found in the stomach that is needed to absorb Vitamin B12. Other reasons for a Vitamin B12 deficiency are that your intestine cannot absorb enough Vitamin B12 or that you are not eating enough food containing Vitamin B12.

It may be a good idea to wait for your new test results and then if it appears your levels are low and that you are suffering from pernicious anaemia you could speak to your doctor about the possible reasons, mentioned above, for not absorbing Vitamin B12.

For more information on Pernicious anaemia you can check out the Pernicious Anaemia Society's website which is:

http://www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org/

Good luck and fingers crossed you manage to get your B12 levels up!

:thumb: