Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why won't they promote me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been at my job for 2 years and since being there I have worked my arse off to progress. I've gained recognition, won employee of the month and bring in almost as much as some of the better paid reps.

Yet today I discovered my friend is getting promoted and my other friend will be taking their job, which I have made v clear I would like and at the moment do quite a bit of unofficially.

First friend has been there a year longer than me and I don't doubt they deserve it all. The other person though, who is a good friend of mine, has been doing appallingly and yet is getting a raise etc as well. They started at the same time as me.

When I asked my boss all they said was that I'm too good at my current job and they "sincerely doubted" I'd move any time soon

I'm so disheartened at the moment I don't know what to do and I feel bad about bein jealous of my friend but I've worked SO hard and even made myself a bit ill at times because I want to get ahead. Any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been at my job for 2 years and since being there I have worked my arse off to progress. I've gained recognition, won employee of the month and bring in almost as much as some of the better paid reps.

Yet today I discovered my friend is getting promoted and my other friend will be taking their job, which I have made v clear I would like and at the moment do quite a bit of unofficially.

First friend has been there a year longer than me and I don't doubt they deserve it all. The other person though, who is a good friend of mine, has been doing appallingly and yet is getting a raise etc as well. They started at the same time as me.

When I asked my boss all they said was that I'm too good at my current job and they "sincerely doubted" I'd move any time soon

I'm so disheartened at the moment I don't know what to do and I feel bad about bein jealous of my friend but I've worked SO hard and even made myself a bit ill at times because I want to get ahead. Any advice?

By the sounds of the feedback that you received from your boss, it seems that they deem you too valuable in your current position to release you from it. Which is a backhanded compliment in a way. It's all very well for them to take that stance, but it does nothing for you. You want to achieve and to progress. If your company won't recognise and support that then I would suggest you need to look elsewhere.

My approach to this problem would be to look around for other positions, making sure that you promote all that you have done in your current role. Should you manage to secure something else then you could go to your current boss and give him a 'value me or lose me' scenario.

If you really are seen as so valuable in your current position then you might already have enough leverage to be a bit more forceful over your expectations. Still, if it were me I'd prefer to have another option before I put myself out on a limb.

If you feel that you aren't being respected and valued then you will become demotivated and it is bound to affect your performance. You need to do something about this, and my advice is as I've said.
    Sounds like you're being fobbed off to me. I doubt your boss would have stayed where he/she was on the grounds they were apparently too good in their job.
    My mate just spent ages telling me how excited she is to be taking on the role. The other person working on it is on probation and about to go on maternity so when they make an announcement about my friends I'll have a word about her maternity cover. If I get knocked back I'm going to start putting my CV about. I didn't spend 3 years at university to be stuck at entry level. I'll keep u guys informed. Thanks :)
    Good plan, if they won't promote you - move. Fingers crossed for you.
    Tell them you want a raise in the mean time. If you really are "too good to promote", then they should compensate you for it.
    Speak to your boss and ask them how you can improve your performance, as you would like to be looking at moving up in the company in the future.
    Definitely start looking around at jobs with other companies, sounds like you're ready to move and if you can't do that where you are, no point hanging around when you could be getting a better job somewhere else.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Speak to your boss and ask them how you can improve your performance, as you would like to be looking at moving up in the company in the future.

this.

It lets him know you want to stay, while implying that if they don't promote you or give you a raise soon, you will being to look elsewhere.
    It would create a win/win situation for you.
    Well I have put in a request for the cover and it's being "reviewed" apparently my name has been bandied about for it which is good.

Rather than just asking for it I've offered to put forward some original ideas etc which seems to have gone down well and the person who I would be working with has said that they would like to work with me. Just have to play it by ear really.