Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

iPhone Music Backup Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My laptop hard drive died on me and I have lost my iPhone music that was on there under iTunes.

How can I back up the music currently on my iPhone into the newly installed iTunes? ITunes doesn't seem to want to let me. :(

Comments

• Options
    Ahh mate, gutted.

This worked for my sisters iPod (I don't have one).

- Plug it into the PC (I'm not 100% sure, but I could imagine Macs will not let you do this...)

- Open the drive letter up that relates to the iPod.

- Go options > folder options > show hidden files and folders (make sure it is checked)

- A folder called ipod_control should appear, inside it a few folders like F00.

- All the files will be in there, copy them back to the harddrive and see if you can open them in itunes or (if all else fails) VLC.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Will the files names etc be unintelligible though? I've heard of that method but heard that you have to rename everything which would be a pain ... :(

P.S Yes, very gutted indeed! :)
  • Options
    The filenames were pretty messed up, but the headers were all good, so itunes could see the song and artist. Some tracks did have some form of DRM, and would complain about licensing - ended up recording from headphone out to line in for the last few :P
  • Options
    Use a program called Pod2PC or Pod2Mac.

http://www.macroplant.com

Used myself, copies the music EXACTLY as it was transfered from iTunes.