Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

High cholesterol and diet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My doctor says blood tests show I have high levels of cholesterol and need to adjust my diet

What does this mean?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To help reduce Cholesterol in your diet you need to cut down or cut out completely (if you can) on Saturated fat so it means cutting down on fatty things like pies, sausages, full fat butter and some cheese's and if you don't already remove the skin from things like chicken.

Try and use margarine instead and semi-skimmed or skimmed milk instead of full fat. Make sure that you don't fry food try and steam, bake boil or poach it also try and cut down on sauces you add to food such as cheese sauce's and oil based sauces.

I know you can buy spreads by Flora and other ones which are meant to help reduce your cholesterol :) Your Dr will probably want to carry on checking your Cholesterol levels regularly to see if it is coming down and not going higer.
    piecesofme wrote: »
    To help reduce Cholesterol in your diet you need to cut down or cut out completely (if you can) on Saturated fat so it means cutting down on fatty things like pies, sausages, full fat butter and some cheese's and if you don't already remove the skin from things like chicken.
    I used to eat loadsa red meat- have been trying to cut down due to weight gain. Now defo have to
    Try and use margarine instead and semi-skimmed or skimmed milk instead of full fat. Make sure that you don't fry food try and steam, bake boil or poach it also try and cut down on sauces you add to food such as cheese sauce's and oil based sauces
    Already use semi-skimmed milk. Gre up on a diet of fried stuff and will take heed to eat more steamed/boiled foods- more spuds sound good!

and cadbury boost chocolate bars if you like them!

they have 64% of your saturated fat allowance in ONE BAR :o they are the yummiest thing ever though.

they have 64% of your saturated fat allowance in ONE BAR :o they are the yummiest thing ever though.

god really? thats ridiculous! they arent even worth it haha...i can think of much better chocolate bars. boosts are like the thing you'd have if there was nothing else left in the vending machine. ha.

ermmm sorry for the off topicness

I like the occassional chocolate bar- used to eat loads. Do know its not good for me though
    god really? thats ridiculous! they arent even worth it haha...i can think of much better chocolate bars. boosts are like the thing you'd have if there was nothing else left in the vending machine. ha.

ermmm sorry for the off topicness

:shocking: how can you sayyyyyy that?!!!

boosts are the best chocolate bar ever!!!! my fave! :heart:

but yes, back to topic, chocolate is baddddd for your diet if you have high cholesterol!
    I'm surprised your doctor didn't talk about how to adjust your diet and lifestyle, or at the very very least, a list of foods to avoid and what to eat more of, like when you get braces... what a quack, time for a new doctor!

Though "they" say (currently, we know that changes daily) dark chocolate is good for the heart :p

I had high cholesterol for a bit (220 total so nothing major... though nothing lowered it until I started my thyroid meds, go figure ;)) and the doctor said eat red meat in moderation (don't eat much anyways) and stay away from fried foods and mayo, eat more fish with omega 3's (like salmon). Up the fruits and vegis intake. Add lots of soluble fibre (such as eating steel cut oats for breakfast) You should be getting around 30 grams of fibre a day (there is soluble and unsoluble, so watch out). Healthy unsalted, unwhatever they do to nuts are good too.

Really, if you google high cholesterol and diet you'll find loads of stuff to eat more of and to avoid.

Also, don't rely solely on diet, exercise is a vital part of keeping healthy and lowering your cholesterol as well.

but yes, back to topic, chocolate is baddddd for your diet if you have high cholesterol!

noted
    my name wrote: »
    I'm surprised your doctor didn't talk about how to adjust your diet and lifestyle, or at the very very least, a list of foods to avoid and what to eat more of, like when you get braces... what a quack, time for a new doctor!
    He did give me a photocopied list, but nothing beats inviting peoples' lively contribution

Really, if you google high cholesterol and diet you'll find loads of stuff to eat more of and to avoid.
    I'll try that
    Also, don't rely solely on diet, exercise is a vital part of keeping healthy and lowering your cholesterol as well.
    like swimming