Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Human Rights Volunteering Abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody know of any places which don't charge the earth and which won't take jobs which could be done in communities?

About me...

Education:

BA(Hon) Human Rights & Politics

Work Skills:

Delivering workshops

Communicating with people from all backgrounds (I work a lot with young people aged 18-24 and can handle angry/upset people very well)

Multitasking

Campaigning

Fundraising

Some legal knowledge

Volunteer experience

Running a student society

Human rights and environmental campaigning

Working with kids

Looking for... Well, anything. I'd love to experience new cultures, work directly with people, learn new skills and share my own. I'm emotionally quite hard, whilst being able to be empathetic and tactful and I don't mind slumming it either. I'm not really one who gets overly-attached to luxuries, squeamish about bugs, or crouchy about lumpy matresses.

Any advice, links or shared experiences welcome :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about helping young children under the age of 16 about there problems like sadness depression anger and so on tell me if that sounds not u
    What about helping young children under the age of 16 about there problems like sadness depression anger and so on tell me if that sounds not u

I think you might have to have specific skills for that.
    Well I am looking more for human rights and/or development work. What's this project?

I am back in touch with a charity I went abroad with before. Yay!
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    hi Namaste :wave:

We've just updated our sister site do-it.org with some advice about how to choose an ethical volunteering opportunity so hopefully you might find that useful. It can be quite tricky to find something suitable so definitely have a look around.

One organisation you might be interested in looking at is Restless Development. They help volunteers from all over the world (not just the West) develop their own grass-roots projects. I went away with them about 10 years ago and had an interesting time. The organisation has changed beyond recognition since then though so this definitely isn't a recommendation of any type, just a suggestion that you might be interested in their approach to ethical volunteering.