Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quick opinions please...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hulloooooo!

So I had my spark of inspiration last night for a story that might actually be long enough and good eough to push into publication, but I have a dilemma.

I'm considering my timeline and at the moment I have two big time breaks where the plot fastforwards a few years. I'm thinking that two would maybe be too much and so I'm trying to work out ways around doing just one (would be a bigger jump but there'd only be the one and the characters would be rejigged a bit), but I wanted to know what you guys think.

This is totally going to make me my millions, so all help is appreciated ;)

Comments

• Options
    I'd have thought that it depends entirely on the type of story and how the time breaks happen.

Fewer breaks and more fluid storyline is of course best but skipping over some time can be a logical part of the story if handled right and the scene leading up to it demands it. You would also have to sew the continuation well enough so that people don't get the feeling that you're skipping time to avoid explaining stuff or anything like that.

My experience is that usually when you work on a story you eventually find out if it lets you do what you had in mind of if the situation has changed. Hope you come to a good solution! :)
  • Options
    Could you have all three time lines running concurrently? You know, alternate chapters jump forward (or back)?

Or just divide the story into three acts. I think that you'd need to tie up a lot (but not all) of what happens before each leap in time.
  • Options
    Well the first point in time was going to be literally one chapter. The second was going to be maybe two or three.

But I think I'm just going to change my storyline round a bit so that I only need to do one. Going to go and buy myself a fancy notebook and a fancy pen today just for the purpose of my millions-making novel :D.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Well the first point in time was going to be literally one chapter. The second was going to be maybe two or three.

So, basically a prologue? I think they're acceptable in novels :razz:
  • Options
    :o

Hush, you :p.

You're not gonna get NONE of my millions now >.>
  • Options
    :o

Hush, you :p.

So I'm going to get some of your millions then? :o

All I ask is that you give me enough money to have a golden statue of myself put in the middle of a roundabout.
  • Options
    So I'm going to get some of your millions then? :o

All I ask is that you give me enough money to have a golden statue of myself put in the middle of a roundabout.
    :yeees:.

I think I can arrange a golden statue. All you have to do in return is be my editor/critic. My previously arranged one no longer wishes to be friends with me so I am seeking a new one.
  • Options
    I'll buy a copy.
  • Options

*cough* :d
  • Options
    *cough* :d
    Hush up, you all know that I was just being stupid :p.
  • Options
    Nuh! you will make millions wifey! :d

and we don't have a prenup so when i divorce you, after you make your millions of course i will get most :p