Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Carb Curfew

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A trainer at the gym has recommended two things to help burn fat faster...

First is interval training and the second is cutting out carbs for an evening meal, but making sure it's protein rich.

He said that the protein will make you crave food less and I can still eat carbs (obviously not chips or white bread often lol) for other meals, but in the evening if they aren't burnt off then they kinda sit inside you...

I'm willing to give it a go for sure, as I enjoy a challenge and know that some days I can still go out with mates or whatever... I mean I'm just cutting carbs out of an evening meal, not altogether I guess...

But was wondering if anybody else has cut carbs for evening meals and if it helps get the weight off.

I don't eat a lot anyway and am going to try the intervals in my training.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interval training yes, I can see the benefits. Most diety stuf I think is bollox, or just has such a minimal effect. Have you tried keeping a food diary and writing diwn everything you eat, when, and why - you might be surprised?
    yes, carbs you eat shortly before bed will bee in your blood as sugar when your body is asleep, and because the metabolic rate is very loe will get laid down as fat, while more complex foods will be being digested at a slower rate, and will be keeping your blood sugar at roughly the right level. Ish.

But so what? is laying down a little fat at night that gets stripped off during the day a bad thing? I'm not convinced it is - I think it lets the body know it isn't starving.

Protein, fibre and water are good tricks for making you feel full, and will make it easier to stop eating without feeling empty - but you are dieting - you are eating less than your body needs, your body will be telling you to eat more. And, yes, converting the nocturnal fat back to energy will contribute to the feeling.
    HIIT (intensity training) is the way forward for me. It’s working well.

I understand the science behind no carbs on an evening but its so hard, I love pasta. I try and replace my evening carbs with a protein shake after the gym as I cant be bothered to make anything after the gym.

Definitely good advice, but it I think the no evening meal carbs rule can be stretched a little- it just depends on how easy you will find it to eat protein. I am not a big meat eater so have to rely on other sources and shakes.

:thumb:
    It's totally not fair, i eat LOADS of carbs for dinner and where is the weight gain??? :( nada :( i reckon my body is evil to me and burns all the fat when i'm not looking lol.
    skakitty wrote: »
    It's totally not fair, i eat LOADS of carbs for dinner and where is the weight gain??? :( nada :( i reckon my body is evil to me and burns all the fat when i'm not looking lol.

How much fat would you like? I have about two stone going spare ;)
    Franki wrote: »
    How much fat would you like? I have about two stone going spare ;)

2 stone? dosen't look like it to me :/
    I always used to joke with my mum (who wants to lose weight) it would be sooo cool if you could do a liposuction and then... reverse liposuction :D I know it's fantasy, but still....
    skakitty wrote: »
    2 stone? dosen't look like it to me :/
    I always used to joke with my mum (who wants to lose weight) it would be sooo cool if you could do a liposuction and then... reverse liposuction :D I know it's fantasy, but still....
    About two stone, aye. I'm around 13 and a half, aiming for about 11 and a half.

Bear in mind that I am 6'0 so it's not as noticable as it would be on you :p
    Franki wrote: »
    About two stone, aye. I'm around 13 and a half, aiming for about 11 and a half.

Bear in mind that I am 6'0 so it's not as noticable as it would be on you :p

Ahhh fair enough, you do have an extra foot hehe cuz i was thinking 'damn, where'd you put that 2 stone? on an extra bit i can't see??'
    Just got back from the gym after doing interval training on machines...

F*ck me that was intense, I thought I was gonna get high. lol!

Well I am now knackered, more tired than I have been for a long time. Hope this works!
    woohoo. Remember not to overtrain inthe begining as it might put you off.