Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Craving a cigarette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure where this belongs so stuck it here.

I gave up smoking 5 years go and get the odd craving for a cigarette from time to time. However, for the last few hours I’ve had really bad cravings for one to the point I’m thinking about going down to Tesco now to get some (it’s 1am!).

Why am I getting such a bad craving for one so many years after quitting? Any ideas how to get rid of this craving?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :thumb: for giving up

Been 5 years, don't waste that great effort you've made.

It's a filthy, nasty, expensive habit that shortens and possibly ends your life early.

I've been smoking 30 years or so. Fortunately i haven't got cancer, yet, as i had a chest x-ray a few weeks ago but i have scarred my lungs quite badly and if i ever get some form of lung/chest disease (which will happen as im +ve) IM FUCKED.

Don't give in now.
    Thanks.

5 yeas is a long time and I've not had a craving this bad since I initially gave up!

I'm planning on heading to my bed now and hoping that in the morning the craving will have gone!

Scarring of the lungs doesn't sound too great!
    smoke
    I'm going to sound like a total saleswoman here, but I'm a ridiculous convert to the joys of the electric cigarette!

I found them about a month ago; prior to that I'd been smoking about 10 a day. Mine is from these people: http://www.elitecigarettes.co.uk/

You charge it on your computer (they also do one where the box charges it for you) and it feels EXACTLY like smoking except the cigarette is obviously a bit heavier and it tastes and feels.... cleaner, I can't quite describe it. It's simply vapour and nicotine, so none of the benzine, carbon monoxide, tar, etc., but you still get a little hit of nicotine. When you exhale it, it looks and feels just like smoke. It doesn't smell, you can smoke them inside, on trains, on planes..... You do get a few funny looks but the end of mine lights up green instead of red so people quickly work out what it is.

They're really cheap too - it works out at about £1.20 for the equivalent of 20 cigarettes. I bought mine a month ago and have had two drags on a rollie since then - it tasted and smelt so yack after the electric one that I haven't wanted one since.

I'm over the bloody moon - and exercise has got so much easier! Argh, I'll shut up now, I sound like a spammer. Have a look on the internet and see what you think. But I'd recommend them to anyone.
    Woke up this morning and the craving was still there, but managed to last the day without having one!
    Avizandum wrote: »
    Woke up this morning and the craving was still there, but managed to last the day without having one!

well done :thumb: