Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blood Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know how rediculous this sounds but I've got to have a blood test in the morning and I'm really scared. I've only ever had one blood test which was almost three years ago and I very nearly fainted, it was very embarassing! I've asked my mum to come with me which is stupid (I'm 25) although she came with me last time as well. It is not the pain as I don't think it will hurt much, but it's the thought of what it is which makes me feel queasy. Just thinking about it now is making me feel faint. What can I do to overcome this :(

Comments

• Options
    Hi Fruit Loop

I don't think you sound stupid. Some people find things like this really difficult. Its brilliant that you're taking your mum along for some support - no point struggling on your own pretending you're okay. Do you have any tried and tested relaxation activities to help you out or distract you when things stress you out? Music or a good film tonight maybe? Some exercise to get rid of some of that nervous energy or a bath/ breathing exercises to help you relax?

There are some ideas here to check out.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I get an adrenaline rush whenever I give blood or have blood tests, it makes me light headed and whoozy for about 15 mins. Nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Had the blood test this morning, luckily the nurse found a vein really easily so there was no messing about, mum was there talking to me as a distraction but I was soooooooo tensed up the nurse was trying to calm me down and getting me to breathe whilst she was taking the blood. Afterwards it was on the desk in little tubes and she was labelling it and I felt really queasy and wanted to get out of there so fast that I forgot to ask when I get my results and if I have to phone up for them, doh! My arm felt thick and heavy for afew hours afterwards.

I take my hat off to people who give blood, it is something I would love to do but apparently I don't weigh enough and if I did I would cause more hassle than good as I would most certainly collapse giving a pint of blood!

It isn't the pain as it's just a little prick and then a slight sensation but it's the mental image of what is going on. Good job I didn't look!
  • Options
    Drink plenty, about an hour before your appointment. It'll make the whole process quicker.

ETA youve had it done :)
  • Options
    I'm fine taking blood from other people...definatly not so keen having it taken though :no:

Good tips are to drink plenty, keep warm and take deep breaths and definatly look away :thumb:
  • Options
    I have to watch.
  • Options
    hey there,

i actually had a blood test earlier today too. unlike you im ok with them but then i dont relish the thought of it either!

glad you got through it, now you know to take mum with you if that helps - no shame in that. definitely just breathe and look away. a good nurse will talk you through what they are doing ie wen the needle is out so you know its ok!

:wave:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I have to watch.

:yes:

I used to have a problem with needles, and then i figured out it was the suspense of waiting for it to prick me. Now I watch and don't have a problem :)