Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jsa

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just finished the Legal Practice Course (LPC) at Nottingham uni, and have a job as a trainee solicitor lined up for the start of September. I have no income between now and then. Never had JSA before but, since I'm now 25, over the next ten weeks or so that would be quite a bit of money. The dilemma is - do I tell the job centre I have a job lined up for september and risk them declining me JSA, or do I keep quiet about it and just turn round at the end of August and say 'I've got ajob now thanks'??

Comments

• Options
    You can probably still claim, so long as ou provide evidence that you're looking for a job between then
  • Options
    Hey Museman,

Well done on completing the LPC and obtaining a training contract (I know it can be hard in finding one). :)

Did you find an answer to your question?

The DirectGov's website has section on Jobseeker's Allowance that you might find useful.

It does say JSA is for people who are 'available for work'. Therefore I don't see why you couldn't claim it as you are technically available for work right now and up until September and you would need to show how you are actively looking for work whilst claiming JSA.

If you wanted further advice about this then you could contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau; I'm sure they would have the answer.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Might be also worth looking for a part time or temp job until september, chances are you might get more money than JSA anyway :)