Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lorry driving (C+E)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know people who drive trucks (articulated lorries) for a living?

I'm thinking about doing this but would like some advice who drive.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ive not done much of it myself, though the only thing I would ask is how long have you had your driving licence, the normal one?
    Had my licence since 2005. No points.
    I think you get your fixed truck licence first then move up to the trailer bit.
    Mist wrote: »
    I think you get your fixed truck licence first then move up to the trailer bit.

Yep that's what I've read.
    So what is life like driving a truck?
    Don't you change your mind about what you want to do about every five minutes? Maybe you should just find a job wherever it may be as you mentioned you've been searching.
    grace wrote: »
    Don't you change your mind about what you want to do about every five minutes? Maybe you should just find a job wherever it may be as you mentioned you've been searching.

I keep changing my mind because I don't know what I want to do with my life!
    I keep changing my mind because I don't know what I want to do with my life!

It's fine to change your mind. If you like the idea of something, give it a try. I never settled on one particular career - but I did give 100% to everything I tried. This has worked well for me, but I am not ambitious. Personally, I made a mistake in staying too long in one (dead end) job, which rather limited my chances of promotion afterwards. However, I have worked hard since, and am a 'Jack of all Trades'. I have never progressed very far in any field, but I am infinitely employable, which is enough for me.

You don't have to decide on a career path immediately or at all. Though I would recommend not ending up with a CV quite as diverse as mine. Then again, I'm not complaining. :D
    I wasted one or two years. When I left school I stayed on through the first year in 6th form, I studied an GNVQ2 in Intermediate Science. I then went on to college to study an NVQ2 in Secreterial Business Administration. After that I appled for well over 200 jobs and I hardly got any interviews. It was utterly crap. Then I went on a course with the job centre that was rubbish.

I then got a job working in a chocolate factory. Been there for 8 years now. I've been looking for a job on and off, but haven't found anything.......

This week I've looked for a job paper but I can't find one!

I was going to apply for 'conservation management' training. There was an allowance of £140 per week, but I would only get just over £100 so it isn't worth applying for. I don't even know if I will get a job straight away after the 2 year course.

I will have to think about doing the HVG vehicle training more as it will cost a lot of money.
    I then went on to college to study an NVQ2 in Secreterial Business Administration. After that I appled for well over 200 jobs and I hardly got any interviews.

Perhaps you need to brush up your CV and letter-writing skills. I don't know exactly what the NVQ covered, but it sounds useful. Odd that you didn't get many interviews. Do you have anyone close who could mentor your job applications?
    I then got a job working in a chocolate factory. Been there for 8 years now. I've been looking for a job on and off, but haven't found anything.......

To an employer, this might look like you are in a rut and lack motivation or ambition. Not good traits in a potential employee. You really need to give yourself a kick up the backside or you will still be there in eight years' time.
    I have re-typed my CV and made the layout better.

My family always gives me help when I need it. My ask my dad more about the letter writing.

Yes I do need a kick up the backside lol
    Why can't I find any job papers any where?
    Usually I find them in most news agents.
    G wrote: »
    Usually I find them in most news agents.

So do I but I can't find any!!!
    Ask the newsagents when they usually get them in, and which ones. Theres a good chance that they are flying off the shelves as soon as they come in.