Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

my cat psyche

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
she died today, im not at home so wasn't there. my mum told me on the phone. psyche came in from outside dragging her back legs. my mum and her boyfriend took her to the vet where the vet said she had had a stroke. there wasnt anything they could do apparently and to feel her front paws because they were cold. they put her down there. it was so quick, within the hour of my mum taking her to the vet.

i'm really upset. we are a real cat family and psyche was gorgeous and ditsy, just really unexpected. what makes me even more upset is when i asked mum where she'd be buried in the garden she told me that they hadnt taken the body home. i asked why not and she said just because she didnt want to. i really dont understand :crying: how could she just leave her. my mum is ill and under a lot of stress but she's smart and must realise this isnt the way to do things.

our adopted cat blacky died recently of pneumonia (we had 4 cats) and he is buried in the back garden. we really loved him but we've had psyche for 10 years now. she was one of the original three who my dad loved too. im just so upset.

this is psyche http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4076/psyche.png

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and now im reading websites and apparently cats are usually fine after strokes. someone said that most good vets advise to wait and see because they usually recover. wtf :rolleyes:
    aw, cute cat. I'm sorry for your loss. There really isn't any use in blaming your mum or the vet now, though I know how tempting that must seem. Have you thought about having a little burial ceremony, even though you don't have the body? You can still plant a little tree for psyche, or some other memorial.

hugs

x
    thanks, i will. that's what my friend advised too. no idea where my mum's head was at though.
    Hi, I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear your news *hug*

As a huge animal lover myself I know how hard it can be when a much loved pet dies or has to be put down. However as difficult as it is right now please try and remember that you gave psyche a good home and in exchange I'm sure psyche has left you with many fond memories x
    katralla wrote: »
    aw, cute cat. I'm sorry for your loss. There really isn't any use in blaming your mum or the vet now, though I know how tempting that must seem. Have you thought about having a little burial ceremony, even though you don't have the body? You can still plant a little tree for psyche, or some other memorial.

hugs

x

:yes:

Awww hugs *hug*
    i just cannot believe my mum left her there.
    I :heart: cats
    I would be heartbroken if anything were to happen to my two little horrors. If it would help to have the sympathy of other cat owners, I can recommend Cat Chat's "At the Rainbow Bridge ..." section.

*hug*
    *hug*
    *HUGS* my sympathies :( I rem when my cat died it was horrible, she was run over so there was no saving her, but yeh, we had the body to bury. Maybe your mum was scared of handling the body or something? I would make a nice memorial for her, include some catnip for the kitty afterlife :)
    Oh god. Seeing as this was a Kitler the loss is double hard :(

Sorry to hear this, Rachael (what about your other cats. I thought you had one named Tulane or so), my thoughts are with you.
    sorry to read this rach x
    skakitty wrote: »
    *HUGS* my sympathies :( I rem when my cat died it was horrible, she was run over so there was no saving her, but yeh, we had the body to bury. Maybe your mum was scared of handling the body or something? I would make a nice memorial for her, include some catnip for the kitty afterlife :)

thanks guys for your kind replies :) , yeah turns out exactly thsi was it. my mum was sad enough and stroked her before she was put down and apparently didnt want to bring her home in a box. it just felt wrong. i jumped to the w rong conclusion as per usual. had a big cry last night. going to buy a plant with psy in the name to plant in the garden.

also the vet went into a long explanation as to why it was kinder to put her down but the main reason was so that she wouldnt be in any pain

matt yup indeed do have tulane :) impressed you remember her name! she's really 'my' cat so it's really awful having her sis die. poor psychs
    I'm really pleased that things have been explained to you and you are able to understand why your mum didn't bring the body home and why it was best to put her down. Psyche looked like a lovely cat and I'm sure you have some really fond memories of her. I am a huge cat lover and can only imagine how upsetting it must be for you but I think it's a lovely idea to get a plant in her memory and it sounds like she had a lovely life with you and your family. *hug*
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry to hear... :( *hug*
    Very pretty cat, focus on the positive parts, remember? :)
    What a beautiful cat she was :heart:

Hope you're feeling a bit better today. It'll get easier with time.

Big hugs for you

*hug*
    Aww :( I'm sorry to hear about your cat - my family's always had cats too and I know how awful it is when they die (I'm dreading the day when my dad's cat Millie dies, she's quite old now and he dotes on her). I hope you're OK *hug*
    Awww no sorry to hear about that, she's gorgeous!!
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're ok, not being able to be at home at the moment and all xx
    *hug* Losing a pet is always hard. Definalty do somthing to remeber her.

We where all really upset when we had to out our first cat down (even my brother who hasnt lived at home for the last 8 years). Was a bit of a shock as well as her health detoriated really quickly.
    thanks guys *hug*

blackie and psyche died in such close proximity together too. really, really gutted. glad im not the only crazy cat lady :) i love cats. have tons of gorgeous photos of her so will be getting them developed soon and putting them in an album.

edit: had to add this one of her, with the sun on her whiskers in the garden with the grass way too long but fun to play in for cats
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8796/psyche2.png
    Awwwww
    Such a cute cat.
    I :heart: cats