Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Application form

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Two questions:

One questions says: Reason for wishing to leave current job. What sort of thing do you write?! Something like career progression? It's more of a sideways move though, so something like for more experience?

The other thing it asks if if I'm happy for them to contact the references I put before a job offer is made. Is it usual to put yes or no? I guess I'm happy for them to, my current boss knows I've been applying for jobs as there isn't really anywhere for me to progress to in the current company at the minute. I'm just not sure if it's best to put yes or no or what most people normally put?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If your existing boss knows you are looking then there's no reason to put anything other than yes.

Generally folk will put no because they have not told their existing boss yet. There's nothing particularly unusual about that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In answer to your first question, putting "career progression" is fine. You don't have to be too detailed in your response, but if you are looking for particular experience that this company could give you, then say so. It is a common enough question but, in my experience, it was a bit redundant as, unless the answer was "because I murdered my last boss" or something equally undesirable, it wouldn't make any difference to a candidate being shortlisted for interview - and your reasons for wanting to leave would be better examined then anyway.

Mist is correct. If your boss knows you are looking for another job, put "yes". We preferred to send out reference requests for all the shortlisted applicants at the same time we sent the interview letters. The idea was that we would have most of the references back by the time the interview panel had made their decision. We then forwarded the reference for the successful candidate before the panel committed themselves to a job offer. They never saw the references for the other interviewees unless they had a second choice and the first had turned down the job offer. Of course, it made no difference to the application if someone said "no". It just meant the admin took longer post-interview.