Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

customising clothes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone on here do it? I'm looking to have a go this summer to save some £ and hopefully come up with a few pieces which look cool and unique. Also I'm pretty petite 5ft 4 and size 6 so have problems finding stuff on the high street which I like and don't drown me, so some tips on basic tailoring would also be great. The style of clothes I normally go for I would describe as casual with a rock edge I like things to be as fitted as possible. Basically I have lots of pairs of jeans I don't really wear as they're plain and boring and a bit loose in places so I'm looking for some ideas to make them a bit more eye catching and original. I've thought about cutting some of them and seeing what I can come up with but I don't want them to look dodgy and 90s.

I'm pretty good with sewing, painting and crafty stuff so sure it's something I could get into, just not sure exactly where to start when it comes to clothes. Guess what I'm after is links to useful websites, ideas for materials/equipment to use and other people's experience of what has and hasn't worked for them.

Cheers :d

Comments

• Options
    My friends an I have made loads of skirts out of old pairs of jeans...it's really easy, you can make the skirt as short or long as you like and it's free! This is a good site to find out how. Or for summer, make them into some shorts.

Oxfam DIY's also pretty cool (MC Hammer pants made out of a T-shirt anyone?!)

And OhMyStars is amazing!
  • Options
    www.craftster.org. God-like for anyone with any degree of craftiness.

There's a clothes board, but there's also a specific re-constructed section on the clothes board which has got all manner of treasures on it!

I used to do a lot of reconstructing, but these days I mostly make stuff from scratch. When I get round to making anything at all, of course :blush:
  • Options
    I used to make a lot of my own evening dresses (back in the day, when I actually needed evening dresses :( ). I was quite good - if I do say so myself, but sometimes a book is useful for basic techniques and ideas. This one, from Readers Digest, is the best I've bought recently.
  • Options
    Ooh, also cut out + keep is quite cool too - loads of step-by-step tutorials which are great if you're just starting out :)
  • Options
    Would love to but i am not really that creative , my sister has just made us both skirts out of england flags which are pretty cool
  • Options
    Thought i would post in here since its not really worth posting a whole new thread about it :p so sorry for hijacking ;)

If you put spray paint on a top and it went in the wash would the spray paint wash off?
  • Options
    Thought i would post in here since its not really worth posting a whole new thread about it :p so sorry for hijacking ;)

If you put spray paint on a top and it went in the wash would the spray paint wash off?

Nope! I accidently sprayed my top at college, and its never come off since! The colour may fade a tad, but if you know how to make a stencil then its such a good to jazz up any clothing!