Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Death by firing squad

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Horrible, but no more so than other forms of execution which take place every week, and certainly not due to the means he chose.

The murder of an individual by the state is the murder of an individual by the state, and lethal injection (IMO) is a nice way to wrap it up so it appears 'humane'. In a way I respect the fact that he's highlighted the brutality of the whole practice by choosing the most socially shocking means.

But then I think that every execution should get worldwide media coverage.....

Is early. Not so eloquent at 7:30am. Sorry.
  • Options
    Horrible, but no more so than other forms of execution which take place every week, and certainly not due to the means he chose.

This.

Lethal injection by all accounts is no means as fast or as humane as we are led to believe. If one or more of the executioners are a good shot, firing squad may well be a quicker death.
  • Options
    When you read about some of the terrible things that some people are capable of you have to wonder if they deserve a life at all , having said that i don't think the death penalty works as a deterrent as the prisons are full of murders , rapists etc on death row around the world.
    I would actually like to see life terms meaning life in prison no chance at all of ever being free and the prisons should be much harder places to live in , maybe just wooden barracks behind fences , and plenty of forced labour.
  • Options
    id rather a firing squad than the lethalm injection
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    When you read about some of the terrible things that some people are capable of you have to wonder if they deserve a life at all , having said that i don't think the death penalty works as a deterrent as the prisons are full of murders , rapists etc on death row around the world.
    I would actually like to see life terms meaning life in prison no chance at all of ever being free and the prisons should be much harder places to live in , maybe just wooden barracks behind fences , and plenty of forced labour.

That whole post makes me feel sick. Yuck.

What death row is ACTUALLY full of is ethnic minorities, people with severe mental health problems and people who live below the poverty line. America creates its criminal classes and ghettoises them in its prisons. Plus, many of the men and women on death row are there because they couldn't afford decent legal representation, a point made clear by the ridiculous number of people who are found innocent AFTER they've been murdered by the state. I count myself hugely lucky that I'm not a young black male in the South of the USA....

I love the way this man puts it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1vgLC2ruAQ&feature=related
  • Options
    A well aimed shot to the brain is highly likely to kill instantly.
  • Options

What death row is ACTUALLY full of is ethnic minorities, people with severe mental health problems and people who live below the poverty line. America creates its criminal classes and ghettoises them in its prisons. Plus, many of the men and women on death row are there because they couldn't afford decent legal representation, a point made clear by the ridiculous number of people who are found innocent AFTER they've been murdered by the state. I count myself hugely lucky that I'm not a young black male in the South of the USA....

I love the way this man puts it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1vgLC2ruAQ&feature=related

agree completely
  • Options
    The thing I object to most is that

"Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff used the Twitter micro-blogging site to say he had given the go-ahead for execution.

"May God grant him the mercy he denied his victims," Mr Shurtleff tweeted."

Whatever one thinks about the morality of the death penalty or the way it was carried out, announcing it on Twitter ... FFS!!!
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    A well aimed shot to the brain is highly likely to kill instantly.

I don't think they aim for the brain, do they?

I thought I read that he wears a target on his chest.

Anyway, not a lot to say on this. I could express my disgust and revulsion that the death penalty still exists in this supposedly civilised nation, but it would be a little banal and pointless.

It's horrific though.
  • Options
    Meh, largely ambivolent toward this to be honest. Announcing the decision via Twitter wasn't smart but then again, Americans are not exactly known for their tact.

Personally, I'd ask if I could jump out of a plane at 10,000 feet without a parachute if I had to go, merely for the rush. Otherwise, firing squad would
    probably come second.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Give me an overdose of morphine.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It says from the article that a white target is placed on the convict's chest. If the guns were aimed there, I would imagine that to be a painful death, being in pain for a couple of minutes before he dies. Agreeing with Mr G, a headshot would be instant death.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Agreeing with Mr G, a headshot would be instant death.

Head shots certainly arnt always instantly fatal.

Drugs are best way to go.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Carefully aimed shots to the head and heart often are, hence the use of my word careful!

Certainly better than the electric chair.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Give me an overdose of morphine.

me too, as long as it's not fatal ;)
  • Options

I never said the justice system was perfect or anywhere near it , i was merely stating that i do not believe that the death penalty works and other methods of punishment may be not only more humane but more approiate.
    Why would that comment make you sick?
    I agree with you that most of the inmates are suffering from mental health problems not many sane people get pleasure from killing and maiming innocent men , women and children.
    As i understand a lot of those on death row in America are either professional criminals or gang members fueled by the need for cash to buy drugs , or driven to kill by their gang codes for the kudos it brings.
    As you say thankfully a world away from anything most of us experiance.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Mark Shurtleff, the Attorney General of the state of Utah. For you, the man who believes Ronnie Lee Gardner "is being held accountable to a higher power" and who talks of God giving him "the mercy he denied his victims" - the mercy which funnily enough, you didn't feel the need to provide him with - you are the winner of the Cunt of the Day award!

What a fucking bellend.

As for my view on this, I think the death penalty is an easy way out.

UPDATE: Random blog piece that I found on the matter by Boaty & D.
  • Options
    Definetely firing squad. Frankly I'm surprised it's offered as its normally seen as an honourable execution (ie for spies and soldiers).
  • Options
    I'd rather be fucked to death by Kylie, if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Interesting, I didn't know that any state still did that. I'd imagine that might be the last time anyone is executed by firing squad in this country.

I've heard that it actually costs more to execute prisoners in this country than it does to house them for life. If that is the case it's a huge waste of time and money. I wont be sorry for the loss of Mr. Gardner at any rate.
  • Options
    Interesting, I didn't know that any state still did that. I'd imagine that might be the last time anyone is executed by firing squad in this country.

I've heard that it actually costs more to execute prisoners in this country than it does to house them for life. If that is the case it's a huge waste of time and money. I wont be sorry for the loss of Mr. Gardner at any rate.

I read that the firing squad method has actually been withdrawn already , but at the time he was sentenced it was still an option which he chose.
    Therefore his wishes were honoured.
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    I read that the firing squad method has actually been withdrawn already , but at the time he was sentenced it was still an option which he chose.
    Therefore his wishes were honoured.

Right, I'm just surprised that the law was still on the books in 2004.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I'd rather be fucked to death by Kylie, if I'm honest.

I'd still rather have the blindfold and the last cigarette - Amanda Bynes on the other hand...:D
  • Options
    I'd still rather have the blindfold and the last cigarette

Kinky :thumb:
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    This.

Lethal injection by all accounts is no means as fast or as humane as we are led to believe. If one or more of the executioners are a good shot, firing squad may well be a quicker death.

My thoughts entirely, it'd be the option i'd choose.
  • Options
    If I had to make a choice I would deffo use firing squad.
  • Options
    Both the electric chair and lethal injection are slower and more painful. Personally I find the death penalty amoral so the method is really of secondary concern. Interestingly the lethal injection cocktail of drugs is banned in animals in the US because its too slow and painful. (Basically because it slows the breathing and you suffocate while still being awake, rather than something like Barb's or heroin where they knock you out)