Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Final uni results

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, so I'm still waiting on a couple of marks yet, but judging by what ive recieved so far I'll have to be incredibly lucky to scrape a 2:2 and the most likilhood is that I'll end up with a 3rd as the final grade in my business degree...now to be honest this feels pretty worthless, is it? I know its still a degree at the end of the day but it seems like all the graduate jobs want 2:1s or at the least 2:2s, so what chance do i have of cracking into the job market with a lowly 3rd?

Also, does anybody have any cheery stories about how they also got a 3rd in their degree but landed an awesome job so they're now sat in some big mansion on a pile of cash?

Ta
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JimV did alright with an ordinary...
    Yep, I know a couple of people who got 3rd class degrees and are now successful and gainfully employed. Of course, that was before the recession, whereas I am now struggling to find a decent job despite having a first class honours degree and a Master's degree...

One possibility is not to put the degree classification on your CV, just put BSc (Hons.) or whatever. Only volunteer it if asked.
    Obviously it depends what area you want to go into, but of the people I know, the two far and away most successful of them don't have degrees at all, so a third is definitely not the end of the world. There's a lot to be said for personality, experience and good, old-fashioned hard slog when it comes to finding work.

You will probably find you struggle to get on to any graduate training schemes, but they're not the only route to take. With a bit of hard work, and not being too proud to start at the bottom of the heap and climb the ladder, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

I'd agree with just putting on your CV that you have a degree, and not mentioning the grade, too :)
    My dad got a third from a crappy polytechnic and he ended up the MD of a major insurance company in Africa earning upwards of £100k.

It's not the end of the world, at least that's what I'm telling myself right now.