Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Battlestar Galactica

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I didn't want to use an old thread as I'm only on season 3 and didn't want to read spoilers.

I'm a bit confused by some of the story arcs in BSG. Sometimes there will be a story arc that isn't resolved and then disappears in the next episode. Other times there will be a story arc that appears to presuppose other events, which have not been portrayed.

For example, at the end of season 2, there's a weird mini story arc about the chief going crazy, hitting that girl, and then it turns out he wants to die because he thinks he might be a cylon. It's then not mentioned at all, and we see them married on New Caprica. It seems as if it was meant to be a big storyline, but was then dropped.

Another example is how the whole Lee and Dualla romance felt clunky and awkward. One minute they hardly know each other, the next they share one gym session, and then they're sleeping together and finally married.

I can't tell if it's deliberate or just bad writing. Did the writers include story arcs that were subsequently abandoned? Did they insert scenes afterwards to fill out the gaps in certain story arcs? Perhaps I'm asking too much, and the fact I'm watching them continuously and not weekly is making these imperfections more noticeable? Anyway on the most part BSG is great, but this little point was niggling at me!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I will reply in detail but...

No they aren't dropped
    Hell, you're in for a wild ride
  • Options

I forgot to add, please don't include plot details peeps!
  • Options
    Season three seem a lot more episodic - and formulaic - than the first two. Not loving it yet.
  • Options
    I'm waiting to start season 2 but feel guilty whilst I've got uni things to watch that I feel I ought to watch first...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Keep in mind that BSG is mostly a characer-based show. And there's time skips, even with days between them. Lee and Dualla didn't just meet in the gym and then got together, it's implied there's some time in the between where they met again and got to know each other better.
    Tyrol didn't suddenly "get better" about thinking he was a Cylon, although getting it out in the open definitely did help. It doesn't show you all the ways it affected him in the meanwhile because they're not so important as the rest of the things that are happening.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Season three seem a lot more episodic - and formulaic - than the first two. Not loving it yet.

It sounds like you're having the same response to it that I did.

Season 1 & 2 were brilliant - some of the best telly ever. 3 is not in the same league. Season 4 will put a stinky taint on the whole show.