Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

last round

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I got to the last round of interviews for a job. Had an email saying I wasn't successful and they've actually decided not to go with any of the people they put through to the last round, instead they are going to look again for someone who is a bit more suited.
However, they said that they thought I was one of the strongest candidates, I just lacked experience in a certain area but said they would forward my CV to other people within the company who are looking and have already mentioned me to someone in particular. It's a huge company so it would be a similar role.

So, that's kind of positive I guess, despite not getting the job. But - do you think that when I reply to the email to say thanks etc it would be worth reiterating/emphasising why I think I am a good match for the job they turned me down for?

I take on board their point about a lack of experience in a certain area, but I honestly feel I could do the job well despite that. I'm not expecting them to suddenlt turn around and change their minds, it's just the fact that they've said they're going to look again and that they haven't actually picked anyone for the role yet, so it is still available.

Was just thinking that in my email if I emphasise that I'm passionate about the job and really think I could do it, and try and address their worries, then if they still don't find who they're looking for when they look again, they might look again at people like me who they originally turned down?

What do you think? Worth a shot?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about suggesting a trial?
    Good idea! I did actually think about putting that I'd be willing to go in for a couple of days to see how it goes and to show them that I can do the job. Which would hopefully again show them that I'm keen as it'd mean taking holiday from my current job, and I've aleady used up two days leave for the interviews.

Suppose they worst they can say is no! If they'd emailed and just said you were unsuccessful, I probably wouldn't bother. It's just the fact that they haven't appointed anyone yet and in one of the adverts, they said they were looking to fill the post quickly. And they do seem quite positive. For all I know they could have said the same thing to everyone who got through to the last round, that they'll pass their details on etc, but I guess it's worth a shot.
    I don't want to dash your hopes here, but it is normal practice for employers to write a consiliatory letter to people who have got to the last round of interviews. It isn't that what they have written isn't true, but you should view the letter as a common courtesy, rather than use it as a second chance to prove your worth.

I am afraid to say it is also quite possible, depending on the type of employer (public service or private industry?), that they may have had an internal candidate in mind all the time.

You did well to get a second interview. My advice would be to chalk the whole application/interview process up to experience, learn from it, and let it drop. Good luck for the next one.
    Ah yeah, I'm well aware it's common practice to write letters like this, but it was much more detailed than the usual letter you get, plus they were very specific about the people they were passing my details onto - as in their names, where they work etc. It wasn't just a, 'we'll keep you in mind' it was, xxxx is looking for xxx and xxx, is it ok if i pass your details on, i've mentioned you as someone he should speak to about the position. xxx and xxx are also looking and with your permission i willl pass your details to them. The posts are pretty much identical to the one I applied for.

They could well have an internal candidate in mind, but if that was the case surely they would have said they have decided to appoint someone else, and not said they are going to look again for someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting them to turn round and offer me the job at all, I'm quite prepared they will just say thanks, but no, we are going to keep on looking.

I just thought it might be worth, when I reply to them to say it's fine to pass on my details, to also say that I understand the concern they had about one specific area I lacked experience in but to try and address their concerns and show that I could do the job, so if they still don't find who they are looking for, they might reconsider me.

As I said, I'm not expecting it to change anything. I guess my question wasn't really will it change anything if I email, it was more, will they think i'm odd/weird if i said something like that in my reply?
    I think it's worth a try!

As long as you keep the tone polite and business-like and you're not expecting great things, I don't see any harm in it. Like you said, the worst they can say is thanks but no thanks.
    Dont think Id want to work for a company who had to go to a final round to realise they hadnt actually got someone they thought was going to be good enough.
    Yeah, I thought that was odd. I think it could have been because one person saw everyone first and shortlisted them for the final round where we were interviewed by two different people - so the first person obviously had very different ideas about who was suited to the role to the people doing the final round interviews.

Kind of annoying because the particular thing they said I lacked experience of was something that in the job advert said wasn't essential - they should it would be helpful to have basic knowledge of it (which I do and never said anything other than I had a basic knowledge of, so they knew from my application that I wasn't an expert in it), but they said it wouldn't be as important as the other qualities - of which I think I matched pretty well.

Obviously their right to choose, of course. Although having said that, the particular thing I lacked experience of was something I would think some of the other candidates would have plenty of experience of and therefore be more suited to the job so can't really understand why they didn't offer it to anyone at all.
    The trouble is that in these times of budget cuts and belt-tightening, you will never really know whether they didn't just decide to reorganise the department and split the role between existing posts. As a recruitment advisor for the NHS, I've had to write letters like this myself in the past (usually for senior positions), particularly when a recruiting manager was felt to have led good candidates up the garden path ... One didn't want the candidate thinking that they had wasted their time.