Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teaching English Abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Soooo...

I am hoping to have all my debt paid off this year (fingers crossed) and then I am looking to get out of London.

I love working with young people (I do that now) and I know that having a second language will really benefit me long term, both with travelling and also with a career in human rights. I also love to be creative and enjoy energetic jobs and working in challenging environments.

It has been mentioned to me a few times that I would be a good teacher and thus have started looking at teaching English as a foreign language. This is something I am seriously looking in to.

I was originally thinking about going to Mexico for my first country, but then my common sense says Spain as it is less of a culture shock and a hell of a lot cheaper to get there. I am planning on starting Spanish lessons at a college this year and also thinking about putting up adverts on Gumtree, which offer an exchange of language (i.e. I help your English, you help my Spanish).

I was wondering who else has taught English abroad?

What were your experiences like?

Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't...
    But I just wanted to say... Spanish is a very easy languge to learn. I've been doing it a few months, and it's already better than my French which I've been doing a few years!! Good luck!
    Xx
  • Options
    Where would you like to go instead of what is easier/cheaper?

I'd say stick your neck out and go for a language that isn't so general, like French, Spanish, German, even though German can be an exception.

To be honest, I would say try Japan first. I've been told from a friend who lived there for a while that you just need to know English (fully...) and have a degree in something. Anything, doesn't have to be English.
  • Options
    I'm not well travelled and wouldn't wanna go too far until I know I can hack a year abroad. I guess it is a safety net thing, but also wiser at first.

But if I had any choice, I'd choose Latin America, or maybe a French speaking African country (the reason being I want a language which I can use in several countries... I would like to be fluent in at least two languages by thirty five)... I think Swahili would be a cool language to know as well.

Oh and there's Nepal. I'd love to go back to Nepal! Thailand is tempting too...
  • Options
    Hi,

Im currently teaching in China on an internship programme with i-to-i.com, I orginally wanted to go to Spian, but When I went out there I couldnt get a job anywhere as I had no previous experince. I had lots of interviews that I thought went really well, but they always seem to go for teachers with previous experince. Most European Countries are like this, but if you go to Korea or somewhere like that you don't need any qualifications and the money is quite good. So be aware of heading off to spain in search for work! I spent two months travelling around looking for work and didnt get any! Good luck with it though! Its a great way to travel and meet people, its also brillaint for really getting a feel of a different culture as your living and breathing it everyday!:thumb:
  • Options
    I haven't...
    But I just wanted to say... Spanish is a very easy languge to learn. I've been doing it a few months, and it's already better than my French which I've been doing a few years!! Good luck!
    Xx

Take it from someone who speaks both, has A levels in both, and has a degree in the former, Spanish is far from easy.

Although it is relatively straightforward to get from nothing to, say, GCSE standard, from there to fluency is a really hard. I only achieved it when I worked in Latin America and was speaking it for 8 hours a day.

However, in terms of usefulness, I would heartily recommend Spanish.

Also, I would avoid Mexico at the moment. About as safe as Basra at the moment.
  • Options
    My dad says spanish is easier (but then he is married to someone whos lived most her life in spain), as do my teachers and I personally think so too.
    It's about opinion I guess.
    Xx
  • Options
    Well I am going to see how everything goes... I need to hold on to my job a while longer to pay off my gaping fuckload of an overdraft.

Maybe South Korea, Thailand, China or Nepal would be good to get experience first.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Maybe South Korea, Thailand, China or Nepal would be good to get experience first.

Japan. They have vending machines that sell beer !
  • Options
    My dad says spanish is easier (but then he is married to someone whos lived most her life in spain), as do my teachers and I personally think so too.
    It's about opinion I guess.
    Xx

Easier than French yes, easy no.
  • Options
    Go for Spanish, useful around the world and in business and (don't tell TS) apparently it's pretty easy.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Go for Spanish, useful around the world and in business and (don't tell TS) apparently it's pretty easy.

I find French a lot easier than SPanish... there seems to be a lot less grammar, however, the best way to learn a language is just to immerse yourelf in it, my spanish improved immensely after i started visiting my ex boyfriend in spain.
  • Options
    Would you be teaching at a school or independently? As I think along with the language, it would be important to get properly certified if teaching at a school as well.
  • Options
    I'm an English teacher in Turkey and I have also taught in Poland.

Teaching young learners/kids is really stressful and hard work!

It's not always easy to learn the local language as you speak English most of the time - at work of course, and with friends, and even outside work when you try to practice, you find people reply in English, which can be annoying.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'm an English teacher in Turkey and I have also taught in Poland.

Teaching young learners/kids is really stressful and hard work!

It's not always easy to learn the local language as you speak English most of the time - at work of course, and with friends, and even outside work when you try to practice, you find people reply in English, which can be annoying.

What teaching course did you do?
  • Options
    Celta
  • Options
    Yeah, the general rule is forget about Western Europe without experience and qualifications. You might get a job in the UK with just qualifications. I have a mate who works in the UK, but he initially tried to get a job in Spain, and had to come home after a few months. So think Eastern Europe or Asia. The issue with Asia is that it's quite far to go and then start looking for jobs. There are companies that will hire in the UK, and they can be a good foot in the door (although you probably wouldn't want to stay working for them for much more than your initial year's contract). They tend to hire for countries like Japan, Korea (which has a reputation for being a hard country to get along with), Taiwan and China. The alternative is to show up in a country, and then start looking, although this probably isn't a great idea for someone with no experience. Or the third option is if you're planning on doing a CELTA course, find out if they run one in the country you want to teach in, and then look for jobs while you're doing the course. That has the extra advantage of your course organisers having quite a lot of contacts, as well as helping you with your applications, and generally allowing you to get settled in the country first. The downside is that it can cost quite a bit of money. If you plan on starting without qualifications, you can generally find out which countries you're likely to find work just by doing a bit of research online.

Anyway, here's a list of courses currently running. Most employers that want qualifications want a minimum of a 4 week, 100 teaching hour course. Basically "CELTA or equivalent." Personally, I'd ignore the "or equivalent" bit and apply for either a CELTA or Trinity Certificate, which are the two world-recognised courses.
  • Options
    Am planning on doing my CELTA this time next year (if I am still in employment, will have paid off all my debt and saved up).

Still not 100% sure on the country, but am interested in Buddhism and Asia, so maybe Thailand or Cambodia.

Kinda worried the market is screwed with the recession, as a lotta people apparently are doing TEFL to escape it.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Am planning on doing my CELTA this time next year (if I am still in employment, will have paid off all my debt and saved up).

Still not 100% sure on the country, but am interested in Buddhism and Asia, so maybe Thailand or Cambodia.

Kinda worried the market is screwed with the recession, as a lotta people apparently are doing TEFL to escape it.

I did CELTA in October last year with Language Link in Earls Court. Terrific fun. Thoroughly recommend it. One of the girls on my course had been teaching kids in Thailand. She loved it, though (like me) I'm not sure that she wanted to go back to teaching children, having taught adults. She is now working in London. There is always a market for teaching children abroad. Strictly speaking, CELTA is the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults and doesn't qualify you to teach children, but a lot of my fellow trainees went on to do so anyway.