Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eating before an exam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Didn't know where bouts to put this - so sorry if it's wrong :P

But when you have an exam (say in the afternoon), should you eat lunch?
I had my biology today after lunch and all I've eaten today is my breakfast... should I have eaten before my exam? Does it help?
My form tutor have my a lolly to give me some sugar my i didn't eat it..
Does it really make a difference?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea cant hurt to can it?

Better to eat than not and feel ill and lightheaded during the exam
    Personally i don't eat lunch before exams if they are in the afternoon unless i have a really early lunch because i get so nervous and it takes away my appetite. But if your hungry then yeah it would probably be good too.
    Its a good idea, in an exam situation your brain is burning a lot of glucose, so having lunch would probably help
    You might not notice the effects of mental degredation on your work if you dont have lunch, but trust me, even if its something small its best to eat something.
    Yes, I would definitely eat a light lunch to keep your brain fed - don't overdo it, as a heavy meal can have the reverse effect and put you to sleep! Also, I suggest taking a tube of Dextrasol glucose tablets in with you.

Other hints: use earplugs (so you don't get distracted by everyone else scribbling, tapping their pens, sighing, clearing their throats, etc.); take your watch off at the beginning of the exam and put it on the desk in front of you so you can keep a good eye on the time; apportion your usage of time according to the marks available for each question.

Good luck!
    Exams always make me so hungry! Eat something light beforehand, but don't eat so much you feel uncomfortably full.
    Definitely eat something!!! I've had exams over 3 hours long in the afternoon (after 2+ hours in the morning) and probably would have actually died if I hadn't eaten anything. Food = energy = brain energy = better performance.
    im sure i read somewhere that blood sugar dips/slumps effect your ability to concentrate, also dehydration too.

no source tho
    im sure i read somewhere that blood sugar dips/slumps effect your ability to concentrate, also dehydration too.

no source tho

Depending on your natural insulin levels, yes, that's true. I, for example, am mildly hyperglycemic, so need to keep my blood sugar level up to compensate for my quick metabolism.

Definitely eat lunch if you have an afternoon exam. The brain needs fuel as much as the rest of you does. Whatever you do, do NOT skip lunch and replace energy with Red Bull or anything like that. That is dangerous and can lead to blackouts and all sorts of other nasty shiz.