Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am 23, on jobseekers allowance and still living at home. My mum recently had another baby who is now about a year old. The problem is that the house I'm has only two bedrooms, so of course the sprog is going to need his own room at some point. So I understand I need to move out, but I just don't feel like I know what I am doing or where to start. Moving out sounds like a scary, complicated and impossible thing. I just wasn't raised to be independent. I'm seriously worried because I have no idea what's going to happen to me or where I'm going to end up, add to that pretty guilty about the baby not getting their own room.

Comments

• Options
    Do you have the skills to get yourself a job, save up for a deposit on a room in a shared house or a bedsit and spread your wings and go? If not, you're going to need help. What services at the job centre are you using at the moment?
  • Options
    How long have you been on JSA? Have you had a job recently?

Obviously finding work is the first step. It's going to be a lot easier to afford to move out if you're working. How has the job hunting been going?

Although moving out seems scary, the thing to remember is that it's not as dramatic as it seems. Anything that most people can do can't be that difficult. It is daunting, I remember the fear and anxiety I had when I moved out of home at 18, but it was the best thing I ever did and I've never gone back, even when money has been tight and financially speaking it would have been much easier to move back home.

Both in terms of economics, and in terms of having other people to share the psychological burden of handling bills, dealing with problems etc, I suggest you look for a room in shared house rather than trying to live alone. A good place to start is looking online on flatshare websites to see if anyone in your vicinity is advertising for a flatmate.
  • Options
    I've been on the JSA on and off since 2007. There was one point where I got a temp christmas job at the royal mail in late 2008. But apart from that it's just a bunch of courses with various agencies which have been total crap. Thoroughly fed up of the whole looking for jobs thing needless to say. And don't really know what I'm doing with everything katrala just mentioned.
  • Options
    do you enjoy your own company/ are you scared of being alone?
  • Options
    Hey there,

It seems like you are in a tricky situation at the moment. You feel that you need to move out of your family home in the near future however you are not sure how to go about doing this.

It's great that you are thinking about this now rather than later when further changes may occur at home to make it impossible for you to live there.

Moving out is a big step, however, you can make it as easy as possible by thinking of about a few things first. You can then enjoy your new independence even more.

Things to think about;

1. Working our a realistic budget so you know what you can afford. Think about all your expenses, not just rent. For example food, money to go out and other living costs. As you are receiving Job Seeker's Allowance, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit too to help pay the full rent or part of it. You can find out more about this from your local council or job centre plus.

2. Consider who you want to live with and where you want to live.

3. You may be entitled to further help from your council. For example they may place you on their Housing Register for a council property - however you would need to talk to them more about this.

4. Furthermore, you may want to think about what kind of property you would want to live in and what kind of landlord you are looking for; a house, a flat, a private landlord or a Housing Association.

Shelter's website have an abundance of information for young people.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    :)
This discussion has been closed.