Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

National Insurance Number.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can't find my card, so how do I find out my number?

Comments

• Options
    If you don't remember it, it's normally on old pay slips.
  • Options
    What about if I don't have any pay slips with me either haha :(
  • Options
    and benefit letters.
  • Options
    Quick search says go to your local DWP office, fill in a form.
  • Options
    You might try calling the department for work and pensions, or your local job centre. Both of these should be able to help you in obtaining your national insurance number.
  • Options
    Ring the DWP, they'll tell you. To be fair, you should consider memorising it, you'll be asked for it a lot over the next few years.
  • Options
    Lyric, you get issued with a total of 2 NI cards in your lifetime. If you lose your 1st, you can phone up for a 2nd card, but no more after that if you lose the 2nd too. They'll probably ask for as much ID as you can muster up though. Plus what the others said about old pay slips etc.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Lyric, you get issued with a total of 2 NI cards in your lifetime. If you lose your 1st, you can phone up for a 2nd card, but no more after that if you lose the 2nd too. They'll probably ask for as much ID as you can muster up though. Plus what the others said about old pay slips etc.

:yes:

Really worth putting it somewhere safe... and not your purse :p
  • Options
    write it on a bit of card and put it the part of your purse for business cards.
  • Options
    when do you need your NI card?
  • Options
    you normally need your NI number when applying for a new job. I suppose the card is to help you remember it.
  • Options
    You don't really need your NI card at all, but you do need to know your NI number.
  • Options
    I know mine off by heart (and quite possibly other peoples as well lol) because we had to use them as computer log in names at the last place i worked. bizarre.
  • Options
    I know mine off by heart, my mum knew I had a habit of loosing things so made me remember...I never lost it either!
  • Options
    You don't really need your NI card at all, but you do need to know your NI number.

At my last job I needed to show my card at interview.
  • Options

Was it your first job? Or perhaps a job targeted at young people ... or one that might attract foreign workers? It isn't standard practice to ask to see someone's NI card at interview, though it may be used by some employers (wrongly, as it is not a valid form of ID) to try and establish that you are old enough or legally entitled to work in the UK. You will not always be asked for it in future. The point is that if you can prove you have an NI number by any other means, e.g. old payslips, there would be no need to worry about the loss of a card.
  • Options
    I got asked that once, and I had to ask them if they were joking, I had an old employers payslip instead.

I never got a card in the first place, however I rang up and asked about it.
  • Options

I had to take mine along to my last interviews a lot of interviews for jobs in the NHS require you to take them.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I had to take mine along to my last interviews a lot of interviews for jobs in the NHS require you to take them.

They cannot "require" you to take your NI card, though they might ask you to. It is supplied simply as a reminder of your National Insurance number. (See HM Revenue & Customs site) As long as you know your NI number, there is absolutely no need to keep your card. Our NHS trust actually decided that requesting people's NI number pre job offer was infringing on Data Protection as, except for the successful candidate, it was non-essential information and not relevant to the job application. And, as the card (as far as I remember) doesn't identify the holder, it cannot serve as proof of the right to work in the UK or proof of ID. You could not be refused an interview on the basis of having lost your NI card.
  • Options
    I found my card at last!
  • Options
    Hurrah ! :)
  • Options
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    Sorry for bombarding your thread lyric! But, im just curious, what happens if you've lost it twice? what happens then? Because i never recieved a card, and i can remember when i was 16, my mum having to ring up to get my number sent to me on a paper...so is that classed as me having my 2nd number? Again, im sorry, im just curious :)
  • Options
    Sorry for bombarding your thread lyric! But, im just curious, what happens if you've lost it twice? what happens then? Because i never recieved a card, and i can remember when i was 16, my mum having to ring up to get my number sent to me on a paper...so is that classed as me having my 2nd number? Again, im sorry, im just curious :)

See my earlier post. You don't actually need your card. If you can remember your NI number (ideal) or you have it written down somewhere, there is no need to keep your NI card. It is only supplied as a reminder of your number and has no other bona fide purpose.
  • Options
    They cannot "require" you to take your NI card, though they might ask you to. It is supplied simply as a reminder of your National Insurance number. (See HM Revenue & Customs site) As long as you know your NI number, there is absolutely no need to keep your card. Our NHS trust actually decided that requesting people's NI number pre job offer was infringing on Data Protection as, except for the successful candidate, it was non-essential information and not relevant to the job application. And, as the card (as far as I remember) doesn't identify the holder, it cannot serve as proof of the right to work in the UK or proof of ID. You could not be refused an interview on the basis of having lost your NI card.

Thank you overthehill for all your great advice on this thread. It's an important reminder to us all that we should keep these numbers/information safe as we never know when we will need it.

lyric wrote: »
    I found my card at last!

Congrats on finding your card at last! :yippe: Keep it safe.

:)