Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I quit my job over facebook

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, facebook was part of the reason I quit. It's really cuz my boss ostracized me. Early last month, I accidentally embarrassed my boss in front of customers. When I bellowed out my apologies and unknowingly presented myself a victim, several customers called and falsely claimed she mistreated me. She got into trouble. She let me come back to work after about a week and a half. However, when I did come back, she ostracized me like hell. My coworkers and other managers acknowledged my presence but she didn't. Considering that she's usually more friendly than professional with everyone (both in faebook and IRL), I hated that she kept her distance from me while still talking to everyone else. On top of that, she deleted me from facebook and never added me back.

Don't get me wrong. She called me in regularly just to give me hours regardless of business. She planned to give me more hours as time goes on and I behave myself. People said she cut me more slack and was more lenient with me than most people would be, considering how serious it was what I did. They said lots of people wouldn't give me the second chances that she had and then advised me to use this chance to earn back ALL my hours (usually 28-35) pre-incident. Still, the more hours she gave me, the less I could bear it bc it exposes me even more to her ignoring me. The days she called me in was actually my bad days now. On my last day, the only thing she said to me all day was hi whie she small talked w/ one of my coworker and joked around w/ another.

So now, I stayed 13 months on this job, 11 of them was when she didn't ostracize me. After I quit, I been turning in shitload of applications (13 by now), got one interview, and no offer. So much for going where I'm more appreciated. Did I really wrong her that badly that she has to ostracize me for 2 whole months? People said keep working hard and behaving myself and she will eventually be back to her old self. Hard to do when I didn't have the time frame. COnsidering all that, can I blame the economy?

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi stoned angel,

Welcome to the boards and sorry to hear about the problems you've been having at your old work.

It'd be useful to know whereabouts you are from so we can suggest a few places that you can get help from.

You've obviously now left your job, but you don't say whether you sat down and chatted through the issues with your old boss. She may not have realised that the way she was acting towards you was upsetting you so much.

Let us know how you are doing with your hunt for a new job...

Olly
  • Options
    Olly_B wrote: »
    Hi stoned angel,

Welcome to the boards and sorry to hear about the problems you've been having at your old work.

It'd be useful to know whereabouts you are from so we can suggest a few places that you can get help from.

You've obviously now left your job, but you don't say whether you sat down and chatted through the issues with your old boss. She may not have realised that the way she was acting towards you was upsetting you so much.

Let us know how you are doing with your hunt for a new job...

Olly

I live in Missouri, USA. I'm currently getting help from Career One Stop which is a state funded employment agency. And yes, I did try to talk to my boss. I was like, "I want you to like me just like you used to."

She was like, "I do like you personally. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't have called you in. I called you in bc I wanted to give you hours." btw this was at McD's. As much as that was a good thing, I wanted her to actually talk to me and joke aroound like we used to. I don't see why that was too much to ask.

As for finding a new job, the job market still sucks. Now it's 16 apps to date and only one interview at Best Buy, and no offer. Frustrating!
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    I live in Missouri, USA. I'm currently getting help from Career One Stop which is a state funded employment agency. And yes, I did try to talk to my boss. I was like, "I want you to like me just like you used to."

She was like, "I do like you personally. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't have called you in. I called you in bc I wanted to give you hours." btw this was at McD's. As much as that was a good thing, I wanted her to actually talk to me and joke aroound like we used to. I don't see why that was too much to ask.

As for finding a new job, the job market still sucks. Now it's 16 apps to date and only one interview at Best Buy, and no offer. Frustrating!

Hi Stoned Angel,

Sounds like you are taking all the right actions trying to find a job.

In your opening post, was it explaining why you left the McDonalds job that you were wondering whether to blame it on the economy? Perhaps it'd be better to say that you struggled to get along with the management or didn't like the culture there as they'll probably check with your previous employer why you left.

Your old boss obviously took what happened quite personally, and some people take a long time to rebuild the trust they have invested. Also, it's often really difficult to be a boss and a friend, and what happened probably made your boss realise she couldn't be both to you. Maybe now you are no longer working their she'll feel more comfortable about remaining friends.

I'm sure you'll find something suitable soon...

Olly
  • Options

I wonder how you are coming across in your applications. Do you mostly fill out forms, or do you have a CV/resumé that you send out with a covering letter? In any event, what do you say about the circumstances surrounding leaving your last job? You need to phrase your application carefully, in order not to come across as trying to justify the original incident or, worse, as bitter about your boss' treatment of you. Both approaches could have the effect of making you look immature and a potentially problematic employee.

Most application forms ask for brief details as to why you left your last job. The trick is not to go down the road of criticising your last employer. Don't write too much. Just say something bland like you "want to build on the experience you gained and feel ready for a new challenge".

If you are lucky enough to get an interview, again, be cautious about saying too much about falling out with your old boss. But if you get asked a direct question and the subject comes up, turn it to your advantage by pointing out how much you regretted the original incident, what you learned from the experience and how much you have matured as a result.

Good luck. :thumb:
  • Options
    I wonder how you are coming across in your applications. Do you mostly fill out forms, or do you have a CV/resumé that you send out with a covering letter? In any event, what do you say about the circumstances surrounding leaving your last job? You need to phrase your application carefully, in order not to come across as trying to justify the original incident or, worse, as bitter about your boss' treatment of you. Both approaches could have the effect of making you look immature and a potentially problematic employee.

Most application forms ask for brief details as to why you left your last job. The trick is not to go down the road of criticising your last employer. Don't write too much. Just say something bland like you "want to build on the experience you gained and feel ready for a new challenge".

If you are lucky enough to get an interview, again, be cautious about saying too much about falling out with your old boss. But if you get asked a direct question and the subject comes up, turn it to your advantage by pointing out how much you regretted the original incident, what you learned from the experience and how much you have matured as a result.

Good luck. :thumb:

I mostly just fill out forms, as they are mjinimum wage jobs and don't require a resume. To date, I've turned in 25 applications. During my 2 interviews, I usually just say I'm looking for something more rewarding. After that, I never heard back from anyone. The economy sucks.
  • Options
    I don't know where you are or your age, but have you tried temp agencies? I've found nearly every job I've had (and there have been many!) thru them. Temp jobs turned to permenant placements most of the time. Even if it is just a job to cover somebody over vacation for a week or two, it is something and gets you more experience. I've never gone more than a few days without an oppertunity, so long as you are open to what they have to offer.

Typing in "temp agencies" seems to do the trick on google to bring up a ton in your area.

Many job listings on monster and careerbuilder are through temp agencies as well, it would be worth checking out those websites as well.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    I don't know where you are or your age, but have you tried temp agencies? I've found nearly every job I've had (and there have been many!) thru them. Temp jobs turned to permenant placements most of the time. Even if it is just a job to cover somebody over vacation for a week or two, it is something and gets you more experience. I've never gone more than a few days without an oppertunity, so long as you are open to what they have to offer.

Typing in "temp agencies" seems to do the trick on google to bring up a ton in your area.

Many job listings on monster and careerbuilder are through temp agencies as well, it would be worth checking out those websites as well.

I'm in MO and I'm 21 and I've applied to seasonal and permanent jobs, 33 places in all. I just finished my first interview at Sears and I believe it went well. I couldn't do temp agencies bc I only qualify for minimum wage jobs, not high paying, corporate ones.
  • Options
    Temp agencies are most definatly not for high corporate jobs. I've been doing entry level office monkey work for years. No experience required, just be able to use a computer, or not. There are file room and mail room jobs... admin assitant, customer service...

If you are that desperate for a job it would be better to actually check out what things have to offer instead of automatically dismissing them before you even look. Here is a random St. Louis zip code... many many entry level jobs
    https://kellycareernetwork.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/searchjobs.cgi?keywords_or=&country=US&order=jobs.timedate+DESC&zipcode=63101&miles=50&category=&companies=2

http://jobsearch.monster.com/PowerSearch.aspx?q=entry%20level&where=63101%2C%20Saint%20Louis%2C%20MO&rad=20&rad_units=miles&tm=60&dv=#q=Data%20Entry&where=63101%2C%20Saint%20Louis%2C%20MO&rad=20&rad_units=miles&tm=60&dv=

Good luck with the sears job :)
  • Options
    So much for 40+ applications, 8 interviews, and no offer. wtf! My last intervies was on Monday. Stupid economy.
  • Options
    So much for 40+ applications, 8 interviews, and no offer. wtf! My last intervies was on Monday. Stupid economy.

40 job apps and 8 interviews isn't bad going actually. I'm now on 120 apps and only 6 interviews from that.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    40 job apps and 8 interviews isn't bad going actually. I'm now on 120 apps and only 6 interviews from that.

Thanks. I actually do feel a little better now and not as discouraged. The economy just sucks <(")
  • Options
    Yeah, it's very tough at the moment. Welcome to TheSite though :-)