Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

It really is about time someone does something about this abominable regime

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MoK wrote: »
    Ever heard of Operation Flavius?

Or perhaps of more relevance the Altmark Incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altmark_Incident
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The boats had already been inspected though.. so unless the weapons were hidden?

I don't want the state the obvious, but if there were weapons they would be hiding them wouldn't they?
  • Options
    I don't want the state the obvious, but if there were weapons they would be hiding them wouldn't they?

Well this much is true.

Where do you draw the line then? Do they have the automatic right to launch a boarding action on any ship in the ocean in case there are hidden weapons?
  • Options

But I think the likelyhood of this arms thing being true is slim, as I've stated earlier it seems utter lunacy to do such things in broad daylight when other methods of clandestine arms smuggling appear to be far more successful and less likely to harm the Palestinian case.
    Netenyahu - "This was not a love boat, this was a boat of hate"

Again, he's not the only one and I'm sure worse has been said in the Arab media - but until the Head of Israel stops making hyperbolic, Daily Mail-esque statements without clear evidence I think Israel's credibility remains highly questionable.

The motivations and methods of those involved in the floatilla were probably complex and in some cases different, but I think that description is just laughably ridiculous.

As for your free and impartial investigation, Israel has apprently seized all property, phones and recording media used by all members of the floatilla. This doesn't bode well for an kind of investigation which will be a break from past 'Full and impartial' Israeli investigations, where everyone is immediately cleared of all wrongdoing.
  • Options
    I've been waiting a couple of days to write about this one, as the Israel/Palestine situation is one of those things where it takes a bit of time for everything to come out. Even now, I don't think it has, but a sufficient level of information is in the public domain for me to comment now, I believe.

I've always been a supporter of Israel. I think it has a right to defend itself against terrorists and organisations such as Hamas. It does not always get the response right, but they are a nation that effectively has to live under a "permanently under siege" mentality. On this occasion, I think Israel is fast becoming its own worst enemy. Now, let's get one thing clear. It's apparent that many of the characters on this boat were pretty unsavoury people. It's also clear a fair few of them were on there purely because they wished to see violence. How else do you explain the pictures taken on the boat of their weapons? These people were certainly not "peaceniks", that much is clear now. Whether they were "provocateurs" or "terrorist sympathisers", as they have been branded by some is questionable enough, but these people certainly were not intending to have a picnic and a tea party.

The reaction was somewhat out of proportion to the threat, I have to concede. Indeed, they seem quite determined at times to push the friendship of people like myself and their country to breaking point.

To sum this up in a few words - peace in the Middle East is as far away as ever. How sad.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    How else do you explain the pictures taken on the boat of their weapons?
    A lot of the knives were clearly from the kitchen/s. The Times says they had to cut up railings to get those iron bars. That doesn't suggest that they were already 'tooled up' for a fight.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I've always been a supporter of The Palestinian People. I think it has a right to defend itself against illegal occupiers, torturers and war criminals such as the Israeli government and army. It does not always get the response right, but they are a nation that effectively has to live under a "permanently under illegal occupation" mentality

I noticed a few errors in your post, and have taken the liberty of correcting them.
  • Options
    Personally, I like the idea that a few metal bars and kitchen knivesw are considered weapons by people tooled up with guns.

I also like the idea that it's apparently okay to attack a ship with armed men, but not to defend yourself if you are on the ship.
  • Options
    Execution-style killings at close range by the Israeli soldiers

Defending themselves indeed.

Fucking cunts.
  • Options
    "Execution style" is inflamatory language - it suggests back of the head whilst kneeling?

Having said that, if this report is true, that still many people shot from behind...
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    "Execution style" is inflamatory language - it suggests back of the head whilst kneeling?

Having said that, if this report is true, that still many people shot from behind...

And also shot in the face, so could be ricochets or he spun when hit by a low velocity bullet.

It report doesn't tell us anything apart from the fact they were shot, which we knew already