Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Revision Tips.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What revision tips do you lot all have?
In January i spent over 30 hours (not at once!) writing up notes, doing posters and mind maps, only to get a d and 2 c's.
I'm re-taking those exams.
I've had 2 exams already & have got 5 comming up in June.

Anyone got any tips to revise, so I can spend time doing the things that help?

Also will be pretty interesting to see what everyone else does :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For me, I wrote up notes as I went along in class. And for each paragraph i used a different colour to highlight the important words, so all together its like a colour gradient or rainbow type thing. So by the time it came to revision i just need to read them over.

I usually - for some unknown reason - remember things better if i say it out loud to myself, which makes me look stupid but it goes in better.

OR if i am finding something hard to remember i do a diagram but using everyday stuff. Like to learn how a cell forms I made a diagram of a burger being made and called different parts of that (like the lettuce and stuff) parts of the cell. :D It sounds stupid but it works for me lol

Apparently revising for 45 minutes, then having a break (but not watching tv) for like 15 minutes helps. I did try this and it surprisingly worked.
    I revised in totally different ways depending on the subject.... so what are you studying?
    I've got, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, R.e and Physics.
    Bio, Chem & R.e are my re-takes.
    Ok, well I did Biology and Chemistry. This is what I did:

-Made flash cards for all the definitions. Word on one side, definiton on the other.

-I made up mnemonics to remember processes or details I had trouble with.
    E.g. Differences between spermatogenesis and oogenesis. Queer Roy Never Dates Women. = Quantity, Release, Number, Duration, When. (I then knew the details for each)
    E.g Stages of mass spectrometer. Victoria Is A Dead Donkey. Vapourisation, Ionisation, Acceleration, Deflection, Detection.

-Put all biological processes and diagrams onto posters. Bulletpointed stages of processes for things like DNA replication, transcription, translation. And heartbeat control etc etc

-Mindmaps for whole topics.

-Calculations for chemistry, so like I'd spend some time on Ksp calculations, then acids and bases and redox... and then the next day I'd do just a few to check I could still do them, and then carry on like that. Also did a hell of a lot of genetics crosses.

-I would draw out mechanisms again and again (the ones I needed to be able to reproduce) such as nucleophilic substitution reactions and free radicals etc.

-PAST PAPERS.

-Then either the day before the exam or the morning before the exam, a group of friends and I would steam through the syllabus, covering every point. For example, going round in a circle with the stages of meiosis.

Also, do you get a databook for chemistry? Just because it really helps to have a good idea of whats in there, because sometimes it means you don't have to revise something in as much detail as you think you do :p
    What would you suggest for ICT? I might give the whole writing up my notes and highlighting the key words... sounds fun! LOL :)
    What do you need to know for an ICT exam?
    I'm lucky, for ICT it's 100% coursework now ;)
    I generally just write everything out in revision notes, memorise the stuff I find difficult, and hope everything else just soaks in.
    A level chemistry I made detailed notes on revision cards and it worked quite well.

If there is a lot of stuff to learn I find reading it out loud and at the same time making a spider diagram helps.
    bleepy wrote: »
    What do you need to know for an ICT exam?
    I'm lucky, for ICT it's 100% coursework now ;)

My course was 4 units, 1 unit being only coursework which I aced! I just not a huge fan of these exams :(

This units abou business and such, so... key terms and what type of techniques to use for different situations?
    what i used to do which was really helpful is this:

read through a module then, without looking, write down everything you can remember. By comparing what you just wrote to your notes/text book, you have a snapshot of everything you know, kind of know, and really need to work on - you might be surprised about what you know! It's really good for highlighting your weak areas.

then you can go back and work on what you need to work on without wasting time on the stuff you do know. I make flashcards of things you're not sure on, with a question on one side of the card, and the answer on the other to test yourself.

also the very act of writing it down (use nauns method here as well) helps your long term memory.
    Carrying on from the post above apparantly if you mark the bits you don't know in red then you are more likely to remember them next time. not sure exactly the logic but it seems to work for me.
    Aparently yellow highlighters are good for remembering stuff
    You can never forget balenciaga beauty that the brings to you. moncler in the love of ladies, The class ed hardy series of gucci shoes this chance to pandora bracelets chooes.

wow. such useful, relevant advice :rolleyes:
    Dont do too much all at once. Theres a difference between cramming and immersing yourself.

Dont leave it too late.
    Some of these are really helpful :) deffo gonna be using these for revision, got one this wednesday, three next week and one the week after, so shall be using these over the days! :)