Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'They took my pills!!'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The United Kingdom Youth Parliament forums have, for the second time, removed, or at least hidden from view and suspended posting on, the 'Oldies' section that allowed over 25's to post. This wouldn't be so big a deal if they warned new people signing on that if they were over a certain age, they would get a message when they first tried to post to say that they didn't have the posting rights (and never would). I really hoped that the 'Oldies' board would remove the best excuse for the old people who generally are in charge of the country (not to mention the council workers who really run most of UKYP) to ignore the opinions of the politically motivated young, but the politicians effectively patted the YMPs on the head when they let them use the Commons for a day, and the UKYP staff would rather stay behind the scenes while YMPs debate issues that the government are going to do their way regardless.

http://www.ukypforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46

http://www.ukypforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's da Yoof Parliament, innit? Speakin' up for da yoof of dis country and al' that.

Bloody useless things.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's da Yoof Parliament, innit? Speakin' up for da yoof of dis country and al' that.

Bloody useless things.

You do realise the people involved in the youth parliament are far from the epic wasters you portrayed in that attempt at humour?
    MrG wrote: »
    You do realise the people involved in the youth parliament are far from the epic wasters you portrayed in that attempt at humour?
    When was the last time the Yoof Parliament did anything of any importance? It's a talking shop.
    When was the last time the Yoof Parliament did anything of any importance? It's a talking shop.

If it gets at least some young people interested in politics in a healthy way, then surely its a good thing?

After all the more SG's we have knocking around the place, the more interesting it would be I think :)

of course its a bloody talking shop! its a group of young people who want to be involved in politics, their not exactly going to drafting policy documents to treasury just yet are they :grump: PLEASE think before you post cos its really annoying when you sound like a Daily Mail soundboard and then diss them a 'bunch of cunts' as well :confused:
    of course its a bloody talking shop! its a group of young people who want to be involved in politics, their not exactly going to drafting policy documents to treasury just yet are they :grump: PLEASE think before you post cos its really annoying when you sound like a Daily Mail soundboard and then diss them a 'bunch of cunts' as well :confused:

:yes: Just sounds like a bit of a broken record. And when pretty much every post of yours contains the word "cunt" it doesn't have any impact and well its just plain unnecesarry. Surprised it hasn't cropped up in this thread yet.
    Plus you know that if the Youth Parliament ever DID do anything important, SG would be the first one complaining about how young people shouldn't be allowed to make important changes or whatever :p

Bloody useless things.

What's with the prejudice over how people speak, not everybody has plums in their mouths but that doesn't mean what they have to say is any less important. Remember, some of us have heard your accent SG, so people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!
    I don't think SG is so much criticising a specific accent as the tendency of some people in authority to attempt to be 'down wiv da kids' when they should just be real. Young people can sniff out pen pushers with a weather eye on their continuing salaries rather than genuine youth issues.

I wanted the 'Oldies' board to make these people genuinely accountable, the way guest chats with people like Nick Clegg and Jo Swinson didn't, but now it's back to being a ghetto. Ver kidz, throw off your chains and at least challenge your local MPs to comment on what matters to you...

http://www.writetothem.com/
    Down with the kids... like this?

christ I started watching that a few days ago it is just dire.
    G wrote: »
    If it gets at least some young people interested in politics in a healthy way, then surely its a good thing?

I'm a young person, I'm interested in politics and I haven't a clue what the YP does.
    Evenstar wrote: »

I'm a young person, I'm interested in politics and I haven't a clue what the YP does.

Well theres an incentive to go google it and read about it.
    G wrote: »
    Well theres an incentive to go google it and read about it.
    Or to do something more interesting, such as watching beige paint dry.

I have to admit I rather revel in the way I'm able to completely wind up certain sections on this board simply by saying "hello". I can only thank my interlocutors for their latest contributions and thoughts. They are definitely keeping me busy. Incidentally, I don't recall ever meeting Katralla so I'm not sure how exactly she has heard my voice. Unless I have misunderstood that.

I've yet to see anyone explain just why the Youth Parliament is such a good thing - proves my point rather, doesn't it?
    UKYP isn't really about trying to create the new breed of mini politicians... its about widening political participation for many young people, not just those who stand as MYPs. Thousands vote in the elections and choose candidates based on the issues they want talked about.

I think these organisations (British Youth Council also) are really important... because through their networks, they're able to find out the issues that really matter to young people and present them, through campaigns etc. Doesn't necessarily means thing will change, but it makes people more aware. Things that spring to my mind are issues like scrapping university tuition fees, votes at 16 and more sex education.

I don't think Youth Parliament is perfect... For example, I'd like to see them doing more for young people out of school, to be truly representative.

But yeah, I really don't see how it can be viewed as a negative thing. Its teaching young people about politics, encouraging them to get involved and to hold opinions about the world around them.
    That wasn't nearly as good as Dear Lily
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    That wasn't nearly as good as Dear Lily

:yes: I like Dan Bull.
    ah