Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Becoming a driver/operator

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would love to work as a truck or plant (JCB/dumptruck/roadroller, etc.) driver, but most companies only seem to take on experienced hands. Are there any companies or training organisations that take on paid trainees?
I know there are bus companies that take on trainee drivers, but I'm not a people person, so I'd much rather become a truck driver or plant operator.

Comments

• Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Captain Slog,

Your best bet is to try the Sector Skills Council for the relevant job you are interested in. For becoming a lorry driver, this is Skills for Logistics, and they run a website called Delivering Your Future that explains various careers including large goods vehicle driver. You'll also find information on other roles driving forklift trucks etc.

If you want to drive more plant/construction type vehicles, try ConstructionSkills, who have information on their website about routes into contruction.

Both websites have details about requirements to do the role, training opportunities and apprenticeships where available.

Hope this helps...

Olly