Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

help! can't d/l :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so i've got this lil Asus notebook that runs Ubuntu and being a n00b i have no idea how to get stuff to download :( I want to install 'dropbox' onto my desktop for online file storage, so i downloaded it from the website- all good, but i'm used to just going into 'install new software' and there it is (or mostly on my windows laptop it runs the install immediately)

So.... I have a folder downloaded into mydocs, but no idea how to install it :chin:

(Oh and i've been to 'add/remove software it it's not showing :( even thou when i downloaded amsn, that showed up :/)

help plz :heart:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx

Download either the regular(x86) version, or the 64-bit, depending on your OS. Once downloaded, it should just be a case of double-clicking it to start the install. You may be prompted for the root password.

I've not used the more recent versions of Ubuntu, but it used to be a brilliant way to install software. They had 15,000+ packages in their software installer - and, rather better than Windows, everything installed from this program was automatically updated. :)

Edit:-

http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg21t2.htm

The above says you can also do it from a terminal shell, but gives instructions...
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-dropbox-in-ubuntu-9-10karmic9-04jaunty8-10intrepid8-04hardy.html

Using terminal and apt-get.
    But download the .deb file, double click it, it should install it without a hitch.
    Ahhh cheers guys, just realised slight hitch in my plan- do not know the root p/w (laptop has been handed down to me by stepdad) So i'll find that out and try again :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ubuntu doesn't have a root password (unless you made some changes to give it one). The password it's asking you for is your user's password. if you use a password to log in, that's the one you want.
    Oooh ok, no- i don't use a p/w to log in :/ i thought it might have been something my stepdad put on, so you have to put the password in whenever system changes are made?

edit: ok, so i have downloaded the file: Nautilus-dropbox, and when i right click it gives me the option to 'install deb file' - when i choose that option, it asks me for the 'administrator password'. So is this a p/w that has been put on there?

Thanks again guys :)
    Yeah.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    skakitty wrote: »
    it asks me for the 'administrator password'. So is this a p/w that has been put on there?
    Are you sure this is Ubuntu and not another distro? Unless your dad created a root password (which isn't a very simple process) it should ask for this user's password. Just because you don't use a password to log in doesn't mean there's not one set; it just doesn't ask you before logging in.
    Her normal user account may well have a password set, but the system is set yo login automatically...

"passwd" in a terminal would change it, won't work without knowing the original. It's trivial enough to get around - it'll be well documented on Google. But I don't really feel comfortable explaining it at 3am... I'm tired and likely to help bork the box. :)
    I'm guessing my stepdad could put on a root p/w (he's a software tester) but don't see a reason for him doing it. I'll ask though :)
    You still do require to use root at some point, specially if he's a tester. You could just reinstall Ubuntu to save all this hassle. :p