Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Notice period

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I am new to the site. I just want an advice about the notice period I have give my company. The problem is I want to leave before my notice period and start a new job but worried about the negative reference they might give to my new work place. since my resignation the company schedule me to work way above my contracting working hours and feels I am pushed with lots of work and feel very stressed. my question is how can I leave early with out the negevite reference hanging over me.

Thanks for any reply

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi

I am new to the site. I just want an advice about the notice period I have give my company. The problem is I want to leave before my notice period and start a new job but worried about the negative reference they might give to my new work place. since my resignation the company schedule me to work way above my contracting working hours and feels I am pushed with lots of work and feel very stressed. my question is how can I leave early with out the negevite reference hanging over me.

Thanks for any reply

An employer cannot force you to work your notice period though, as you point out, if you suddenly quit and left them in the lurch, they might not feel so well-disposed towards writing you a good reference. The best thing to do is sit down and negotiate a shorter notice period (a week or two) with your boss. If you cannot negotiate a shorter notice period, you can still leave, but you will need to make your new employer aware of the circumstances. Don't worry too much about the contents of your reference. Many companies simply provide a factual statement anyway, with no inference as to how well you performed or how suitable you might be for the new position. A standard reference will confirm that you did work for the company from such-and-such a date to such-and-such a date, your job title, salary, number of sick days, etc. Most employers will be used to seeing this type of reference and will have made up their mind about you based on your application and interview.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi London Bridge,

As overthehill says you can't legally be forced to stay, but it could affect your reference and also your employer could potentially take you to court for breach of contract and recover any costs associated with you leaving before your time is up.

Here's an article on TheSite.org about your options:
    http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/working/leaving/givingnotice

Olly