Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just what I need!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you say so, the exclamation marks sure made it seem like you were but, ok. Maybe you need to do something different with your job hunting if you've been applying for things for two years and not getting anywhere. Have you had any responses?
  • Options
    I've come up with these jobs and companies/places -

Web Design - need to go on a course, not sure which one.
    I.T
    Conservation - I love wildlife and nature and being outdoors, so why not!?!
    Environment
    Agriculture/Farm Work trainee ???

British Waterways
    Yorkshire Water
    Environment Agency
    Bolton Abbey Estate, North Yorkshire

Any other companies?
  • Options
    I think you could build up a portfolio of experience by volunteering for some conservation things on weekends. Other than that I don't know, where can you go for careers advice?
  • Options
    Careers Centre
  • Options
    Hi,

Word of advice,

stay away from web design/development, or other IT work as it is going to go abroad over the next 2-3years, just like the call centres went to india.

Get yourself a skill/trade or do one of those over courses you said.
  • Options
    MrShyDrops wrote: »
    Hi,

Word of advice,

stay away from web design/development, or other IT work as it is going to go abroad over the next 2-3years, just like the call centres went to india.

Get yourself a skill/trade or do one of those over courses you said.

Rigggght. As if I'm going to believe that!!
  • Options
    Its up to you mate, I was just giving you some advice,

Take my situation for example:

BSc Computer Technology
    HND In Computing
    AVCE Double Award in IT

All academic courses i have gained all included elements of web design and development. But I have been unemployed now for over 2yrs.

Don't believe me take a look at these outsourcing sites:

http://www.scriptlance.com
    http://www.elance.com
    http://www.rent-a-coder.com

But if you do decide to go with it then good luck...
  • Options
    Careers Centre

Do you know where your local one is? Get yourself booked in.

In the meanwhile, fix up your CV, and really make each cover letter for each job individually addressing their needs. You might want to keep a few of these to take along with your CV to the careers centre so that they can give you help with them too. Make sure there are no spelling/grammar mistakes or punctuation errors in your applications too. When there are more applicants than jobs an easy way to whittle them down is to just chuck out the ones with spelling mistakes - I've been told this so many times.

Rather than changing career, you could also be applying for jobs where you already have experience, if you want to move on from where you are?
  • Options
    Rigggght. As if I'm going to believe that!!

Believe what you like, but be cautious about the amount you are prepared to shell out for a course. IT is a very competitive industry as there are already way too many well qualified people chasing every job, just trying to get some experience on their CVs. Web design can be lucrative, but you will need creativity and flair as well as technical know how.

Edit: I also have a BSc Hons in computing and technology. I quickly discovered that without an industry-recognised qualification there was no hope for me in IT, and I wasn't prepared (at my age) to spend the dosh. However, if you have a logical mind and a flair for IT, you might look into database design - less flashy than website design, but a complimentary skill and always in demand.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Do you know where your local one is? Get yourself booked in.

In the meanwhile, fix up your CV, and really make each cover letter for each job individually addressing their needs. You might want to keep a few of these to take along with your CV to the careers centre so that they can give you help with them too. Make sure there are no spelling/grammar mistakes or punctuation errors in your applications too. When there are more applicants than jobs an easy way to whittle them down is to just chuck out the ones with spelling mistakes - I've been told this so many times.

Rather than changing career, you could also be applying for jobs where you already have experience, if you want to move on from where you are?

I don't want to apply for any jobs where I already have experience in as I don't want to work in a factory/warehouse or office doing Admin any more. At the moment I am standing up in the same spot five days a week and it is taking a toll on my legs as I have varicose veins. Sitting down isn't much good either as I need to walk around, that's why I mentioned conservation, agriculture and farm work.

Believe what you like, but be cautious about the amount you are prepared to shell out for a course. IT is a very competitive industry as there are already way too many well qualified people chasing every job, just trying to get some experience on their CVs. Web design can be lucrative, but you will need creativity and flair as well as technical know how.

Edit: I also have a BSc Hons in computing and technology. I quickly discovered that without an industry-recognised qualification there was no hope for me in IT, and I wasn't prepared (at my age) to spend the dosh. However, if you have a logical mind and a flair for IT, you might look into database design - less flashy than website design, but a complimentary skill and always in demand.

I have previously searched for courses and yes they are expensive especially the Dreamweaver & Photoshop ones. I was thinking about one of my local college's but I don't want to travel to Leeds (I live in Keighley about 15 miles away) every week to study it. I would have to work as well and I would be tired every week. I'm just not going to do that.
  • Options
    right on that happen to me to
  • Options
    Just an update. I had a meeting at work this morning and I still have my job....back to work tomorrow :)

Still looking for a job though
  • Options
    Just an update. I had a meeting at work this morning and I still have my job....back to work tomorrow :)

Still looking for a job though

:yippe: