Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is this reasonable for graduation?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kaff wrote: »
    If you can, I'd find out what your robes are going to be like before getting too hung up about things like length.

And the colour of the hood - make sure whatever you get doesn't clash.

I was quite formal with both my graduations. At Bristol I wore a cream shirt and black skirt, and for my PhD graduation I wore a black dress:

I did see people with short skirts/dresses when I graduated, I think the main rule of thumb is to look smart and wear something you can imagine going to work in, I reckon.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    And the colour of the hood - make sure whatever you get doesn't clash.

I was quite formal with both my graduations. At Bristol I wore a cream shirt and black skirt, and for my PhD graduation I wore a black dress:

I did see people with short skirts/dresses when I graduated, I think the main rule of thumb is to look smart and wear something you can imagine going to work in, I reckon.

Ooh hello
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    ... I think the main rule of thumb is to look smart and wear something you can imagine going to work in, I reckon.

:yes:

Graduation pics don't change much over the decades. Avoid flowers and frills, whatever the length. Be like a bride and think of the photographs. You want to wear your robe with pride. Don't put something underneath it that will distract attention either at the ceremony or in future, when you look at the photos. Spend your money on a great hairdo and shoes.
  • Options
    I don't know if this is your kind of thing but I think this would look quite nice :)http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_142010291343_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Designers~Women~Dresses
  • Options
    I wore a shirt and a pencil skirt to mine, both were slightly 'different' though as I didn't want it to look like a plain work outfit.
    In retrospect, I wish I would have worn a nice dress but at the time we were told we should wear something with buttons to attach the hood of the gown. On the day lots of people wore dresses so I think they used safety pins.
    I think you can get away with most things these days - I wouldn't worry about the length of the dress. I would steer away from really high heels though, everyone always worries about falling over when they go up on stage! And steer away from anything too low-cut, especially if it's in a cathedral
  • Options
    I don't know if this is your kind of thing but I think this would look quite nice :)http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_142010291343_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Designers~Women~Dresses

oh wow, i think i love you! seriously that is such a gorgeous dress. just turned to my boyfriend and said 'i think i found my graduation dress with help from someone from t'internet!' :)

also thanks for the replies guys, they have been duly apprecited and noted. i can see your points. apparently my granny is hankering after a grad photo. dont think my mum is too fussed.

edit: my size is out of stock but there is a number to ring so will do it tomorrow, thanks again!