Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why don't I want to talk to people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So recently i seem to be finding it really hard to interact with people and i don't know why. it's kinda hard to explain... i feel like i dont want to talk to anybody, I tend to keep all of my problems to myself and dont tell anybody whats going off. I seemed to have distanced myself from everyone... I feel like i can't tell anyone, anything. I'm scared that me and my friends, and me and my mum are growing apart.. i dont want that to happen.

I need help! what can i do and whats wrong with me? :(

Thanks, Charlotte xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People are over rated
    I can feel like this too sometimes, it comes and goes. With myself I try to make myself not distant, by telling a friend how I'm feeling or something..

Maybe that could work for you, I know this can be difficult, but you could try :)
    moonlift wrote: »
    I try to make myself not distant, by telling a friend how I'm feeling or something..

Maybe that could work for you, I know this can be difficult, but you could try :)

Thanks for the reply :)

I did try telling my 'best friend' about something last week but she didnt seem bothered... she basically ignored the fact that i had just shared something incredibly personal with her and went to talk with one of my other friends. It made me feel like crap.
    I dont understand why she is making it hard for me to talk to her :crying:
    You are probably shy and afraid of rejection, and I think you WOULD want to talk to people once you have picked it up again. It is just such a big barrier to overcome for you and this barrier keeps growing the more you retreat.
    Try and force yourself to go out with friends and chat about normal things, eventually you'll feel as if you can open up to them again. If you just hibernate, it becomes more and more difficult to see anyone at all.
    Thank-you for all of the advice :)
    It's half term week so I'll try and get out a bit more, fingers-crossed everything goes well:) x
    Hey Rainbow,

I have withdrawn from people at various times in my life, usually when they have utterly dissappointed me. I will admit, in hindsight, that a lot of the time I just needed far more than your average friendship could give and I took things too much to heart. I felt rejected or slighted in situations where others would have not. I was perhaps over sensitive and too expectant of the people around me. That being said, I also had some pretty dubious 'friends' at one time or another.

Talking about things is a very powerful aid to being able to put perspective on your problems. Sometimes it actually helps to talk to someone who doesn't know you so well because you gain true objectivity. The online community can be a great place for that, if you stumble upon a good site. You can vent your problems and feelings anonymously and get a wide variety of feedback from people with experiences that match your own. Sites such as this one, and others.

If you ever need or want to talk about anything to someone impartial then I'd be glad to, as I'm sure many others on here would. That's what the PM function is there for IMHO, and also these boards :)
    We have times that we detract from social interaction. What you're experiencing is normal.
    Thank-you! it's nice to know i'm not alone on this one :)