Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Network Storage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm trying to hunt around to replace my Buffalo Linkstation, I need something thats Mac friendly and supports Time Machine.

I've looked at Apples Time Capsule, but the reviews I've read say it only lasts about 17 months... Not very promising! (Although it wouldn't be acting as a router, just a storage device)

I've looked into Western Digital and also Buffalo Linkstation but I'm not sure on either! Idealy a Print server built in would be good!

Has anyone got anything like this in their network? :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Time Machine is a must? You can use pretty much anything. Time Machine is pretty lame in my experience, I prefer to use Disk Utlity and clone the drive.
    Ahh Time machine is pain free... all you need to do is have the disk mounted and it runs in the background :)

Im thinking about going maybe with a RAID system... Drobo is way to expensive, I've always had faith in Western Digital though?
    Aye, but it sucks to restore from, if you have messed up system files and they're backed up just before your system fails, you have a failed time machine backup. Not worth the risk.

How much data are you looking to have? You could buy a cheap chasis off ebay or something and buy the disks yourself, if you have a CES store in your city, have a look in there for drives. Thats what I would do (and plan to soon when I have the cash).