Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Been left with leaking sink since Wednesday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I live in halls with 5 other people. On Wednesday, I came home (I mean halls) to be told by a hallmate that our sink has leaked, (and still is) it's been reported and that my stuff (under the sink) is wet.

We've also got problems (when it wasn't leaking) that the water would drain with the plug in - again, this has been reported and still hasn't b een sorted.

It's now Saturday and the sink still hasn't been fixed. This means we can't do any washing up - this means that there are piles of dirty dishes everywhere.

It says in our contracts (and on their website) that this type of repair would be done within 24 hours.

Now, one of the girls filled in the repair form and has asked them yet again about this.

Where do we stand on this please?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Id personally buy a washing up bowl.
    We're all moving out next week.
    Hey there Melian,

University is meant to be be the best time of our lives; however things can and do go wrong to ruin this great experience.

You say you are having problems with a leaking sink at your Uni Halls and they have not made any repairs despite being told about it. Don't let this issue ruin your final week; although it might be a relief to know that you are leaving soon.

I would suggest telling the accommodation office again (and again if necessary) that the leak remains and you need it fixed now. There may also be maintenance staff that you see around who you can also tell.

You could also try going to your University's student support office, normally part of the Student's Union, and tell them the problem. They may be able to contact the Halls directly for you or give you further advice.

Just remember you're not alone, there should be many people at your University who you can tell about this problem.

You might like to read Shelter's article on Student Housing for further information.

Keep us posted about the outcome.
    Melian wrote: »
    We're all moving out next week.

Take it with you?
    G wrote: »
    Take it with you?

I have no room to take it with me.

Thank you LittleOne. I spoke to my dad earlier who said to email the people who own the halls and the accommodation service. I have done this - but won't get an anwer until at least Tuesday.
    go next door and borrow a sink.
    I would go for the washing up bowl idea. Once you have clean plates, just flush the dishwater down the toilet. It's only a quid from Tesco/Sainsbury's, and it's not exactly a loss if you leave it behind due to size.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I would go for the washing up bowl idea. Once you have clean plates, just flush the dishwater down the toilet. It's only a quid from Tesco/Sainsbury's, and it's not exactly a loss if you leave it behind due to size.

Thats kinda what I was thinking.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I would go for the washing up bowl idea.

I was hoping that my quoted sentence implied that it has been suggested already. I wasn't taking credit, but obviously my line was badly phrased.
    G wrote: »
    Take it with you?

leave the dirties behind.
    Well the first thing I'd do would be to move my stuff out from under the sink.

Then I'd improvise. Either buy a bowl like others have said, or wash up in the bath or bathroom sink or something. I mean honestly. It's not rocket science.
    Mist wrote: »
    Well the first thing I'd do would be to move my stuff out from under the sink.

Then I'd improvise. Either buy a bowl like others have said, or wash up in the bath or bathroom sink or something. I mean honestly. It's not rocket science.

There is no room in my sink to wash my dishes.
    There is no room in my sink to wash my dishes.

OK so you'd either need to get a bowl to wash up in, or throw all your dishes away.
    There is nowhere open today. And it's pointless throwing away dishes because I can't clean them.
    Pick up your dishes, carry them to the shower, wash them. carry them to the draining board, dry them , put them away. You don't really need a sink.
    do u not have a supermarket near u? asda,tescos etc are all open.
    new avatar! You look different.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There is nowhere open today. And it's pointless throwing away dishes because I can't clean them.

*Everywhere* is open today. Unless you live in the back of beyond. And even there they are open.

Apart from banks and possibly post offices, but I'd assume that you wouldn't get a £1 basin from a bank ...

I wasn't being serious about throwing them away, I was responding to your lack of willingness to actually find a solution that doesn't involve throwing them away.

Surely the rest of the flat has the same issue? What are they doing?

Spar would probably have a washing-up bowl, and most of them are open every day every year. Find one of them. Or a supermarket.
    What sort of level of leakage are we talking here?

Is it not something you could sort yourself? I mean I'm no plumber, but i'll have a crack at fixing things myself.

Common sense prevails, like people have suggested - take your dishes and wash them in the bathroom sink / shower / bath.

Nip next door and ask if you can use their sink. If you're moving out next week, then you must have a box already?

Go and buy a washing up basin. I came out this morning at half past 7 and some garages and supermarkets were already open. We're probably talking a pound or two at the most.

Move everything from under the sink and put a bucket under, depending on how bad the leak is.

Last resort, buy some wet wipes.

It sounds like you just wanted a moan, rather than constructive suggestions of alternatives.
    Mist wrote: »
    Surely the rest of the flat has the same issue? What are they doing?

Piling up their dirty dishes in the kitchen or they've gone home.

There is also the issue of having to wash my hands after touching raw food - because we can't use the sink (it's meant to be fixed within 24 hours according to the companies website) it means having to touch surfaces after handling raw food.

And no, wet wipes don't help with that issue; nor do they help with the need to wash food before preparing it.
    Can't you duct tape the leaky pipe?
    grace wrote: »
    Can't you duct tape the leaky pipe?

Duct tape isn't the sort of thing I brought with me to uni...

I have written an email to the housing company (and quoted their rules on fixing leaks) and CC'ed it to the uni accommodation department.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    This seems to be a big hoo-haa over very little. Get an anti bacterial gel, a basin and just cope for a week. If it was months you still had to stay I would probably complain a bit harder but it's not long. Eat out, eat crap food, wash your hands in a different sink, cope. Heaven forbid you ever get your kitchen refitted when you have your own place.
    . Heaven forbid you ever get your kitchen refitted when you have your own place.

Been there and done that. Except it was only 7 hours and not nearly a whole week.
    gosh, people shouldnt be so arsey on here.

melian i'd still do what others have suggested, even if it's living off of microwave meals for a week. isnt great but it wont be for long.
    gosh, people shouldnt be so arsey on here.

I don't really think people are being arsey. Frustrated probably.
    at what? because im pretty sure it was you who left a similar reply in a thread i created in food. this forum is for advice, sometimes people are gonna ask questions you find 'stupid' or whatever.
    at what? because im pretty sure it was you who left a similar reply in a thread i created in food. this forum is for advice, sometimes people are gonna ask questions you find 'stupid' or whatever.

I'm not sure what this has to do with any of your threads, or what you mean by a similar reply, unless your topic involved food in a leaky sink. Whatever, I don't find her question "stupid" but I do think it's a bit much and it can be frustrating when folk just moan and create excuses whenever other folk actually give you the answers. I gave a perfectly sensible answer to Melian's problem, so I'm not really sure why you're here mouthing off about it.

There's not really anything anyone else can do, unless they happen to be a plumber who's willing to nip round for free and sort the drain out.
    ok! just pointing out you and little missy seemed a little hostile towards melian which i didnt think was very fair