Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I need a bigger car... but don't know what to go for. Help!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Since October 2008, I've owned a 1998 Ford Fiesta. It's served me well enough, but circumstances in my life have changed quite a bit since I first got it. Previously, I did a seasonal job on a holiday park back in Wales and I generally was on my own in the car. However, I'd been in a long-distance relationship for quite some time and I decided last November to move to Northern Ireland to be with her. Things are going pretty well, bar one or two minor issues.

I have no wish to violate the anonymity of my girlfriend so she shall be known, for the purposes of this thread, as Miss S. Now, Miss S has got cerebral palsy. This basically means that she has difficulty walking around and needs to use a walking frame and occasionally a wheelchair. As good as my car has been to me, I regret to say that the car is increasingly unsuitable for the purposes of carrying these things around. So, over the next few weeks and months, I want to buy a bigger car. The missus has also recently mentioned that if we get married and have children, the car will also need to be able to potentially carry a pram as well. The Ford Fiesta simply wouldn't be practical for all this, so I will need a larger car.

Has anyone got any recommendations for cars that have a large boot or enough room to carry around myself, Miss S, any prospective children, wheelchair and so on, if need be?

Oh yes, in case anyone's wondering, a 4x4 wouldn't be suitable as it would be very difficult for Miss S to get into the aformentioned vehicle. Any responses would naturally be appreciated.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm selling a Nissan Primera if you want it. ;)

I dunno, I'd say look in the MPV range. Stuff like the Vauxhall Zafira, Renault Megane Scenic, Toyota Corolla Verso, Focus C-Max, that sort of thing. What sort of budget have you got?
  • Options
    I'm selling a Nissan Primera if you want it. ;)

I dunno, I'd say look in the MPV range. Stuff like the Vauxhall Zafira, Renault Megane Scenic, Toyota Corolla Verso, Focus C-Max, that sort of thing. What sort of budget have you got?
    I don't have a specific figure in mind as far as this is concerned, although things such as running costs of the car will need to be taken into account.

As for that Nissan Primera, something like that could well suit the bill nicely.
  • Options
    I do like my Primera. I'm only selling it because I'm going abroad. It has a small engine for its size (1.6), which means it's not fast with 4 or 5 adults in, but just as something that is mainly for me, with the possibility of putting adults in the back when needs must, it's ideal.

But I'm just thinking, in terms of accessibility issues, these lower cars can be a bit of a pain, depending on the sorts of mobility issues you're talking about. The other option are cars like the Ford Fusion or Vauxhall Meriva, which are essentially more accessible versions of cars like the Fiesta, with bigger doors and more headroom.
  • Options
    I like the ford focus, my friend had one as a work car (civil engineer) and it fit loads of equipment in the boot but was still a smallish car.
  • Options
    picasso?
  • Options
    If you're wanting a bigger car but not a higher up 4x4 then look at estate models. Plenty of room in the back for all sorts of kit and baby equipment.
  • Options
    Possibly an estate? Something such as a Vectra estate or Mondeo estate.

Alternatively, the Skoda Roomsters are supposed to be good and are a cross between a van / car.
  • Options
    Nissan Note, Ford Galaxy. I think you can remove the seats of the latter if you need more room.
  • Options
    I loved my Prius - but the boot is quite shallow, so there's not much room ni it after putting a wheelchair in.
  • Options
    Mondeo estate. We use them at work, loads of space and the diesels are very good economically.
  • Options
    All suggestions have been duly noted.

They are much appreciated. Cheers all.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    All suggestions have been duly noted.

They are much appreciated. Cheers all.

Any thoughts about what you want to get?