Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Licking Carpet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is going to sound really odd but......

I get urges to lick carpet (not the lesbian act but actual carpet). We recently replaced the carpet in our hallway with carpet tiles and we have a couple spare and I occassionally take out one of the spares from the cupboard and lick it! I love the smell of new carpet but it's more the texture on my tongue. Have told afew people who think I'm nuts so I feel really weird about this. Anyone understand where I'm coming from or am I nuts :yeees: Any suggestions on how to overcome it? I find it hard when I'm in carpet or rugs shops as I really need to lick the carpets! And this is a serious thread it's not a joke.

Comments

• Options
    That is pretty weird.
  • Options
    keep a little carpet square in your bag so you dont have to lick random ones that might be dirty.

It sounds like pica, which is the urge to eat non-food substances.

I used to get the urge to eat bath sponges
  • Options
    I once had this urge, but i was dosed up on valium and thought the green carpet was grass and i was a sheep. so, not quite the same.

I've read about Pica in medical texts, but never heard of anyone 'in rl' discribe it. I second Suzy's idea, but maybe vary the carpet so it dosent get boring for you, and research Pica :)

Good luck, and *hugs*
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I've read about Pica in medical texts, but never heard of anyone 'in rl' discribe it. I second Suzy's idea, but maybe vary the carpet so it dosent get boring for you, and research Pica :)
    QUOTE]

I knew someone who ate cotton wool etc with pica. And clay.
  • Options
    are you up duff?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    are you up duff?
    Nope definately not, and I've felt like this for months anyway! Just did abit of research on pica, sounds horrible some of the things people want to eat! :eek2: