Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Community Payback

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I've been a right muppet and been given 280 hours community payback for ABH.

Bit nervous about it and 280 hours is a heck of a lot - 300 being the max like!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Beats prison...
    suppose it does
    Head down, get it done, finito. There are a few people on these boards who have done it, if you hang about, they might be along with some advice on how to get through it.
    Would be handy like. I'll need to try hard like to avoid getting into trouble...I just seem to attract it
    no-one and nothing gets you in to trouble but yourself. To stay out of trouble, all you have to do is decide to do the right thing, and stay out of trouble. It really is as simple as that. YOu've been given a chance with community service. Take it as a punishment, a warning and a lesson and turn your life around.
    280 hours is 7 weeks full time work isn't it? Yes, it's a fair whack, but if I was doing it, I would see it as a way meeting potentially new friends. You are in the same boat so you can compare stories, which can turn into advice amongst your peers.
    I do get wound up far too easy like and then I deck the person who wound me up. No excuse I know.

The drugs convictions I have were slightly less of my fault: was being leaned on by some pretty heavy folk who felt I owed them summit. Managed to get away from that though like (or I hope I have...never really know with people like that)
    Hey there Aaron10, :wave:

It seems like you are going through a tough time at the moment as you have 280 Community Service to complete. You might like to read theSite's article on Court Sentences for more information on the sentence you received.

I was wondering if you're based in England/Wales or Scotland, as things are different in each of these jurisdictions.

You say you are nervous about the Community Service. However, as 'Click to see' more has said, this is much better than going to prison.
    You might like to think about all the positives that Community Service offers. For example, giving back to the community, the feeling of helping others and the time it will give you to reflect on your previous actions. Also, as Monserrat and katralla have said you might meet people there that can give you more guidance or you can make friends with.

Also, you mention 'getting away' from your involvement with drugs and other people who were pressuring you. It must be hard to do this, however, it's great that you've taken those first steps away from it as these are often the hardest.
    I thought you might like to read the Community Real Life story on theSite called 'Turning my back on crime'.

You also mention getting 'wound up far too easy'. You might find theSite's article called 'Dealing with anger' useful for techniques on managing your anger and where you can go for further help.

I hope these links help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Take care. :)
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I would see it as a way meeting potentially new friends.

If you're trying to turn your back on crime, making friends with other people in the same situation as you might not be wise......

Good luck with your service, hope it goes ok.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're trying to turn your back on crime, making friends with other people in the same situation as you might not be wise......

That's true Whowhere. I guess too, it would depend on how much supervision they get.
    Thanx for the replies like. Im more nervous about getting wound up and decking someone at payback like - that would probably see me inside. I was told in court and by my brief that I really am only one step away from jail. My brief is actually surprised i've no been there already like.
    Aaron10 wrote: »
    Thanx for the replies like. Im more nervous about getting wound up and decking someone at payback like - that would probably see me inside. I was told in court and by my brief that I really am only one step away from jail. My brief is actually surprised i've no been there already like.

Easiest way to avoid that is to just concentrate on the work. The faster you do it the sooner it's over. If you feel you're not getting on with co-paybackees it might be worth asking to be transferred to a different job, explaining your reasons why would probably help. it would also show responsibility on your part.
    Shoulda mentioned ma first day is Thurs.

Thanx for the advice
    Shoulda mentioned ma first day is Thurs.

Thanx for the advice

Good luck with it.
    Just reading about your situation and I could be reading about myself.

Back in November I got 240 hours of community payback and was put on tag for ABH. I thought I was going to prison too and even had a few bits packed assuming I was getting sent down but I managed to avoid it - lucky boy I was. Think it was because I was at college and said and did all the right things for court.

I've done more than half of it by now - doing it most Saturday's and it's not too bad. I think it depends on what you done what you get to do. All mine has been outside stuff - supervised and doing stuff like cleaning, painting, cutting down weeds, that sort of things. There are normally about 10 0thers doing it with me.

Main thing is to turn up on time and do what your told. If you don't you get a warning and if you get 2 they can put you back in court. I got 1 when I didn't turn up and got a bollicking about it. I saw other lads who did take the piss and they did go back to court and I know one who got locked up while another one got more hours to do.

Most of the lads doing it are sound enough but a few of them try to make out they are real hard. You'll be asked what you did and all that but most people there were normal enough! I've seen a few scraps but nothing much.

Where I am we have to wear stuff with community payback written on it and being outside you have people looking at you and knowing what you're doing so it's a bit embarrasing like that but you get used to it. I met a guy from the college I go to just finishing up his when I started so you never know who you'll come across.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. Good luck on Thursday!!
    Dave20 wrote: »
    Just reading about your situation and I could be reading about myself.

Back in November I got 240 hours of community payback and was put on tag for ABH. I thought I was going to prison too and even had a few bits packed assuming I was getting sent down but I managed to avoid it - lucky boy I was. Think it was because I was at college and said and did all the right things for court.

I've done more than half of it by now - doing it most Saturday's and it's not too bad. I think it depends on what you done what you get to do. All mine has been outside stuff - supervised and doing stuff like cleaning, painting, cutting down weeds, that sort of things. There are normally about 10 0thers doing it with me.

Main thing is to turn up on time and do what your told. If you don't you get a warning and if you get 2 they can put you back in court. I got 1 when I didn't turn up and got a bollicking about it. I saw other lads who did take the piss and they did go back to court and I know one who got locked up while another one got more hours to do.

Most of the lads doing it are sound enough but a few of them try to make out they are real hard. You'll be asked what you did and all that but most people there were normal enough! I've seen a few scraps but nothing much.

Where I am we have to wear stuff with community payback written on it and being outside you have people looking at you and knowing what you're doing so it's a bit embarrasing like that but you get used to it. I met a guy from the college I go to just finishing up his when I started so you never know who you'll come across.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. Good luck on Thursday!!

Thanx for the info. am just fucking glad I didn't get sent down like. the last few times ive been up in court ive had stuff packed incase i get sent down...dont think i have any more chances like.

i dont have a job or go to college like so im kinda hoping i can get it over and done with as quick as possible.
    i dont have a job or go to college like so im kinda hoping i can get it over and done with as quick as possible.

Maybe if you use some of your spare time looking for education/employment once you've finished your payback you'll land on your feet so to speak and go straight into something? The time won't go as fast sure, but at least you'll have something at the end of it.
    would be a good idea were it not for all the rly nice stories the local paper has done on me over the years like including the full page one last week when i managed to avoid gettin sent down again. dobt think anyone round here would wanna give me a job like.
    would be a good idea were it not for all the rly nice stories the local paper has done on me over the years like including the full page one last week when i managed to avoid gettin sent down again. dobt think anyone round here would wanna give me a job like.

Look further afield, you don't say how old you are. A fresh start may do you some good perhaps.

It's all up to you at the end of the day, my concern is that without a job/education lined up you'll find it difficult to break the cycle you're currently in.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Look further afield, you don't say how old you are. A fresh start may do you some good perhaps.

It's all up to you at the end of the day, my concern is that without a job/education lined up you'll find it difficult to break the cycle you're currently in.

im 21 and im thinking of moving away once ive finished my payback and got rid of the tag...its what i need i think.
    Do you have any other problems? Like drgus or alcohol or mental health or anything? I only ask as you may be able to get some help with life direction and/or job hunting from services for those problems.
    first day today went ok. around 270 hrs to go. wasnt as bad as i thought it would be like. wasnt bad cause it was nice outside but it was far to hot like.
    first day today went ok. around 270 hrs to go. wasnt as bad as i thought it would be like. wasnt bad cause it was nice outside but it was far to hot like.

Least it wasn't raining......:thumb: