Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Emergency Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My hubby started a new job last week, but as his previous employer has his P45 he is paying emergency tax at the mo. He will be getting paid weekly by cash whilst on the probationary period. Alot of people have said that he will get stung heavily for tax (although he will get it back once he is in receipt of his P45) and I'm wondering if anyone knows much about this? Like roughly how much tax he will be paying over the normal amount, and how quickly he will get it back? Have done a search on google but found the info abit complicated tbh! Finding it hard to account for bills etc at the mo cos of the change in pay date and everything without the added confusion of emergency tax!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Use this http://listentotaxman.com/ to figure out what he should be paying if on normal tax rates.
    emergency tax (at least when i had an emergency tax code back in the day) was all over the shop, one month they took next to nothing, the next they took over 50% of my wages
    For further info, and refund details.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/IncomeTax/Taxcodes/DG_078397

Though once he is on proper pay etc, the PAYE tax system will likely correct itself and he will pay slightly less tax over the rest of the year, I could be wrong though.
    Emergency tax basically means you don't have your tax allowance - so you pay about an extra 150 pounds per month.
    Thanks for the replies, he has just brought his weeks pay home and I've checked on the links Mr G posted and it seems that he has paid a normal amount of Tax and NI, he is on a 'week 1' tax code so it looks like he will continue getting the same, correct amount each week until he is put on the system and receives his wages into the bank each month. Was expecting him to pay loads of tax so quite pleased!
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I've checked on the links Mr G posted !

Who is he? ;)
    just some weirdo we used to know ;)
    katralla wrote: »
    just some weirdo we used to know ;)

Good riddance :chin:
    but, he had a few redeeming features though - someone to compare well to, and good for a few laughs, laughing at him :p