Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Running a server from ADSL

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone run their own server from home off their ADSL / Cable connection?

My ISP Seems to allow people to run their own webserver and gives unlimited bandwidth - I can even get a static IP Address if I want.

I have all the hardware I'd need it's just a matter of finding the right software - I can dedicate an OLD PC ? Laptop if needs be - but the main thing is I want to be able to host multiple websites. - I'm most used to using a cPanel interface and want to host mutliple wordpress, PH / MySQL, etc sites.

Comments

• Options
    Not now but have had ones ran off cable before. The problem tends to be the upstream performance for domestic services is poor, and contention can be a factor. So externally your server is seen as a bit slow, and internally your internet access slows down.
  • Options
    I run an IT shop and all of our customer database is stored at the office, our website fetches customer info off the database over SQL, but I wouldn't want our main website hosted on our DSL... We have o2's best package with 1meg upstream so it's pretty good.

For virtual hosts the best way is probably to install a linux distribution (I like Debian Lenny, but there are probably special distributions tailored to prospective web hosts)

You'll want Apache 2 and to use the virtual hosts features so that you can host multiple subdomains with one IP :-)
  • Options
    You won't get much out of ADSL with all the stuff you want to run.

oh also, the cost of cPanel for your personal home server would cost a bomb. Would not be worth it, use something free, like Webmin.