Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feel stupid for ruining his proposal!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello! First of all I am registered here on another name but because this problem is a secret I created a new user name I hope you don't mind!

*note sorry it's so long I had loads to get off my chest I'd really appreciate people's opinions if you've got time to read!*

Bascially I have been with my BF for 5 years we are really happy together, have lived together for a year and everything is great and I love him to bits. We've always discussed marriage and kids and agreed we both want the same things and at the beginning of the year we both had quite a serious chat as I'm 25 and he's 27 I said it would be nice to start maybe planning for the future etc next year and so that was that.

It's my birthday in a week and we're going on holiday, its the first time we've been away for years as I've been at uni etc so I was secretly hoping he might propose, considering its my bday and nearly our 5 year anniversary etc. Anyway I didn't say anything but didn't mention a gift I'd like etc, hoping he'd maybe take the hint.

We went to my best friends wedding last week, it was beautiful and like a typical woman I got caught up in the spirit of the day and when I'd had a few drinks I was jokingly asking him when he was going to make an honest woman of me, he seemed really uncomfortable and was acting a bit weird and said he wanted to be more finicially stable (ie a few years) before we got engaged.... anyway inside I felt devastated as we'd kinda agreed ages ago this was the year etc to start the ball rolling, I felt that maybe he'd changed his mind on the whole thing and we weren't going anywhere at all. However later in the evening he said some lovely things like when he saw me walk down the aisle he'd get choked up and that he'd cry when he said his speech so I got really mixed messages!

Fast forward to last night and he said he was going to the shops to get my birthday present, he had previously asked me what I want and I'd said I don't mind, so he was asking me things like "would you like a camera" etc and basically saying all these lovely things but deep down none of them are really what I'd love. I just felt so deflated I had this lovely image in my head of him asking me on holiday and just feeling so chuffed and telling everyone and how happy I'd feel and the bubble was just burst.

I went for a drive because I felt upset but didn't really want to bring it up again but when I got home I felt really weird because I usually tell him everything so I decided to just tell him how I felt. I went to speak to him and said I wanted to talk to him and he said, I think I know what you want to say and I think you should just leave it (which made me feel worse because then I thought, great he doesn't even want to discuss the idea now!!) and then he said nearly straight after, "your going to ruin it" and suddenly it all came crashing in! I looked really shocked and said, "omg im so sorry have I ruined it" and he smiled but looked sad and said, I've been trying to keep you off the trail but it keep croping up. Then he asked me to marry him!!!!!! I was so happy I said yes but I feel absoulity AWFUL because I've ruined it all for him! He didn't have the ring because thats what he'd gone to the shops for. He said he was going to ask me on holiday (ie what i'd imagined!) and that he was trying to pretend he didn't want to get married so that I'd be off the trail but it worked so well I actually started to doubt us!!

Anyway so now I've said yes (obv!) but we're not telling anyone officially as I dont have the ring yet. Ive said he can ask me again when we're on holiday with the ring etc, but he said its not the same... he doesn't seem mad as such just a bit sad. I feel awful because I spoilt if for both of us and also it doesn't feel 'real' as such as I dont have the ring and can't tell anyone... do you think it'll be ok? I love this guy so much I just feel such a prat for ruining his special moment!

Sorry its so long I understand you probably won't read all of this!

Comments

• Options
    I think that, yeh, it's a little bit sad but not every moment can be perfect and i think you'll remember it more this way because it'll become your little joke kinda thing :) I think all you need to do is concentrate on the big picture.. you are engaged :D:D the ring is just the icing on the cake, so to speak :)
  • Options
    Congrats :D

I wouldnt worry it to much, just be happy that you are engaged!
  • Options
    I am really happy...I just feel sooo stupid for messing it up! We're not going to tell anyone until I get the ring on my birthday next week on holiday ... we're going to celebrate properly and tell everyone then because at the moment I just feel like I kinda spoilt the moment...damn womenly insecurities!!
  • Options
    Don't worry. Proposals seldom work out the way people plan them. The best thing to do is to be really appreciative of the trouble your fiancé went to to try and surprise you. That was really very sweet and indicative of the love you have for each other.

... if it make you feel any better, when my first husband proposed to me (at lunch in a restaurant), he said something completely unromantic like "I think it's time I made an honest woman of you. Will you be my wife?", and (before I got a chance to answer) another guest at our table looked at us blankly and just said "Why?" :shocking:

All best wishes for the future ... and have a great holiday. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. He might feel a little like you stole his thunder now, but he'll soon get over it, and it still had the desired effect!

Plus it's a good story for his speech at the wedding :p

P.S. Congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I feel loooaddsss better about it this this afternoon. I had a long chat with my best friend (who I swore to secrecy) and she said the same as you, that at the end of the day, we love each other and we're getting married! :heart::heart:
    I actually feel quite smitten today. I've just sat down and wrote him a lovely slushy letter that made me cry. I'm going to give it to him on my birthday when we're on holiday as a kinda 'make up' for stealing his thunder. I do really appreciate the effort he went to as well.
    He also seems a lot happier today as well, we had a bit of a giggle about it and he said although he's disappointed he didn't get to do the surprise he said he genuinely always wanted to ask me and that he wouldn't change it cos I said yes and that was that :D Thanks guys just gotta keep it secret for over a week now from the rest of family and friends!! Argh its gonna be hard lol xx
  • Options
    He got the girl (well the "yes"), what more does he want :)
  • Options
    congratulations :D

i know you felt a bit deflated before and maybe even embarassed but reading it, it's such a sweet story, honestly :heart: awh